• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

financially divorced in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

ben

What is the name of your state? ny

what do I have to do so I am not responcible for my wifes future bills?

Or at what pont in a seperation aggrement am I no longer responcible for her future bills.

BTW she left a little over a month ago with no intent on coming back. We own a house (100000)and she has 58,000 in credit card debt that I am paying for. She has no cards at the moment but it is only a matter of time.:-(

Last edited:

C

castigo4U

First thing you have to do is file for a separation. Debts incurred after the separation date are the responsibility of the party that generated them. However, the one exception would be those debts created by what are known as "family necessities". In other words, one spouse may run up a tab for things such as food, clothing, shelter, or medical care and you MAY still be liable for those debts. Especially if children are involved. As far as the house is concerned, it will be divided equally between you both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">