• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statutory Rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chrono

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I'm a bit confused about the statutory rape law that all states have. I've done a bit of research myself and the South Carolina Code of Laws, Title 16 Chapter 1 states that it is, or I assume it is, "Promoting, producing, or directing a sexual performance by a child under 18." Easy enough to understand, right? No sex with a child under 18. But, my question is, what about dating? I've seen nothing in the laws about that. Do the states say anything about it?

CdwJava

If dating includes no fondling, petting or sexual activity of any kind, it's likely okay unless you are encouraging other deviant behavior. That means no alcohol, no running around behind the parents' backs, encouraging criminal activity, etc.

What exactly are the ages here?

Carl

C

Chrono

CdwJava said:
If dating includes no fondling, petting or sexual activity of any kind, it's likely okay unless you are encouraging other deviant behavior. That means no alcohol, no running around behind the parents' backs, encouraging criminal activity, etc.

What exactly are the ages here?
Sounds good. I wonder if kissing is considered sexual activity, too.

The ages are 16 and 20.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My usual (and non-legal) response to such a question is, if you have to ask whether or not it's legal, then it's a bad idea, regardless of whether it's actually illegal or not.

BelizeBreeze

Chrono said:
What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I'm a bit confused about the statutory rape law that all states have. I've done a bit of research myself and the South Carolina Code of Laws, Title 16 Chapter 1 states that it is, or I assume it is, "Promoting, producing, or directing a sexual performance by a child under 18." Easy enough to understand, right? No sex with a child under 18. But, my question is, what about dating? I've seen nothing in the laws about that. Do the states say anything about it?
If you had completed a search on this forum instead of on the internet, you would have learned that South Carolina does not have a statutory rape statute.

Now, I'm not going back into this because frankly, I posted the exact statute for which this behavior would be punishable (if sexual activity were to take place).

So, now go do the search.

CdwJava

Chrono said:
Sounds good. I wonder if kissing is considered sexual activity, too.

The ages are 16 and 20.
Personally, I would think it advisable to stay away from the situation ... even a false acusation of impropriety can dog you for life.

It may bite (in your opinion), but as an adult, you now need to consider dating adults - not children. 4 years isn't much of a difference in the grand scheme, but its enough to land someone in very hot water.

Carl

C

Chrono

Please forgive my ignorance, or whatever you want to call it, but I don't really see anything wrong with it. Dating, I think, is just dating and nothing more.

Of course, on the other side of things, my way of thinking here has the potential to get me in quite a bit of trouble. I'm not exactly worried, just curious.

CdwJava

Well, it may be "just dating", but if it were MY daughter you were dating (well, TRYING to date), we would be having some serious words because I would have a hard time seeing what an adult with 2+ years in the real world (in theory) could possibly have in common with a high school student.

So, if you feel that its a match - knock yourself out ... if dad doesn't do that for you. While your hormones may say this is fine, your brain should be saying that this is not a good match.

And if her parents oppose it, don't even THINK about dating her unless you like jail.

Carl

dequeendistress

What is it with this subject lately?

My advice is...if you truly care for this person, why don't you guys just wait until she is of age.

(don't give me that it is too long to wait story either.)

C

Chrono

CdwJava said:
And if her parents oppose it, don't even THINK about dating her unless you like jail.
But...what if her parents like me?

C

Chrono

CdwJava said:
Consider yourself lucky. Most fathers would be looking at you with something akin to blood in their eyes.
I'm guessing that it would take a lot for you to do that, Carl. Perhaps asking for the parents' permission is a good idea?

CdwJava

Chrono said:
I'm guessing that it would take a lot for you to do that, Carl. Perhaps asking for the parents' permission is a good idea?
It would certainly be the 'old fashioned' way of doing things - asking permission to 'court' (a.k.a. 'date') their daughter. You'd have to do a lot of selling to convince me, however ... but fortunately, I'm on another coast and I do not HAVE any daughters - only sons. And Heaven help them if they ever get out of line with a girl!

Carl

C

Chrono

CdwJava said:
It would certainly be the 'old fashioned' way of doing things - asking permission to 'court' (a.k.a. 'date') their daughter. You'd have to do a lot of selling to convince me, however ... but fortunately, I'm on another coast and I do not HAVE any daughters - only sons. And Heaven help them if they ever get out of line with a girl!
Sorry, Carl. By the way you worded one of your earlier posts I assumed you had a daughter.

But, I'd definitely rather be considered old fashioned than any other way her father could see me as. :D

CdwJava

Chrono said:
Sorry, Carl. By the way you worded one of your earlier posts I assumed you had a daughter.

But, I'd definitely rather be considered old fashioned than any other way her father could see me as. :D
The "my daughter" statement was made to illustrate the point, not to imply that I actually had one. So I can understand your thinking I had one.

But I DO have three God-daughters and a foster-daughter. SO I Do have a vested interest here.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">