• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kids don't wanna go, PLEASE HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

msdiseeving

At what age can my children decide they no longer want to participate in the "Standard visitation" that the non-custodial parent has? If they currently had an option, they would choose not to go because of their step-parent. PLEASE HELP!

LegalBeagle

Well, at this point they do not have an option so are unable to choose. If you feel that they are being abused or neglected then you can petition the courts for a change to visitation. If it is just a case that they do not like the step parent then you are out of luck and you must make every effort to send your children for visitation.

------------------
Psst... I do not work for Macdonald’s or Burger King, and even if I did, I would not tell you. For sloppy bread, tired tomatoes, frozen onions, watered down mayonnaise and imitation meat, please find a drive through window with a person who openly admits they make that stuff.

My advice above is equal to the advice they would give if you asked that person a legal question.

M

msdiseeving

My daughter makes me remove any nail polish she might be wearing before her step-mom shows up, as she is afraid her step-mother will get angry. She'll make every effort to change clothes if she thinks her step-mom won't approve of her outfit. How is it that she is allowed to have that sort of an impact on MY children. They are genuinely "scared" of this person.

And do you really work in the legal field? I did not understand your "McDonald's" analogy? This topic is not the least bit funny to me. I am asking someone, whom, I thought, was in the legal field?!

MySonsMom

<<And do you really work in the legal field? I did not understand your "McDonald's" analogy? This topic is not the least bit funny to me. I am asking someone, whom, I thought, was in the legal field?!>>

Uh oh. :(

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

S

Skorpio

Isn't this a Legal Advice site??

The "analogy" you read is just to let you know that the advice given, is just that! Advice. And yes there are some people with Legal Schooling and experience here.

I suggest that you speak with an attorney in your area and alos look at your State Family Codes to help you understand what you can and can't do. There area Codes concerning Step-parents which like "laws", vary between each state.

Good Luck

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by msdiseeving:
And do you really work in the legal field? I did not understand your "McDonald's" analogy? This topic is not the least bit funny to me. I am asking someone, whom, I thought, was in the legal field?!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My help comes with humor, they go hand in hand and you can not have one without the other. For advice without humor you need to come to my office and pay me $300 for an hour of my time. During that hour I provide the hamburgers for free but definitely no humor.

Since I am unable to help you anymore then I will defer any further help that you required to a fully qualified attorney who has nothing to do with hamburgers and has no sense of humor. Sorry for the inconvenience that I have caused by trying to help and answer your questions. I wish you luck in finding the answers and helping your children.

Good luck!

------------------
Psst... I do not work for Wendy's, and even if I did, I would not tell you. For great bread, crispy tomatoes, fresh onions, lovely thick mayonnaise and a square slab of mouth watering meat, please find a drive through window with a person who openly admits they make that heavenly stuff.

My advice above is equal to the advice they would give if you asked that person a legal question.

M

msdiseeving

Regarding your humor, I'm not so sure a Judge would agree. I have yet to see one of them present in court with an ounce of humor attached to a "verdict" they have just given. Which is what I feel like you've offered me.
I appreciate your advice, I always encourage my children to go on the visit. However, you must not be a parent, or you would understand that humor is not what I was looking for, I am truly concerned about the effect the step-parent is having on my children. And I am bewildered that step-parents are allowed to cross lines like this, and that natural parents can't do anything about it unless blood is drawn.

U

Ukiah

Maybe you shoudl have the children see a child psychologist, and wait for the findings on that. My child is afraid of both her father and step-mother. As far as what the findings are, you should talk with an attorney in your area and see if charges can be grought against her, or what other method of protection can be administered. I understand your frustration, as my child has been put through alot (and still is - long story)

Either way,good luck

Ukiah

------------------
All that you have read in no way is Legal Advice, it is a matter of opinion to help you in your quest

U

Ukiah

Oh, Also check your States Family Codes, they could be very helpful in telling you how old your children need to be to make their own decision. Some states don't allow the children to make any decisions as to where they want to go or when they want to go, so check them out and go speak with a good attorney.

Ukiah ;)

M

msdiseeving

Thanks Ukiah - I appreciate it. I have taken them to a Psychologist, but I guess I need to take them back. I will look into that Family Codes thing though, anything to not feel helpless.

U

Ukiah

What State are you in? I'm sure there is a web site for the Family Codes of your state. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Ukiah :)

------------------
All that you have read in no way is Legal Advice, it is a matter of opinion to help you in your quest

M

msdiseeving

I'm from Texas. If anyone knows the website, please let me know.....

THANKS UKIAH!!!

U

Ukiah

Try starting at this site and use phrases to help you find what you are looking for.
http://www.sll.courts.state.tx.us/

This is a begining, you should learn your laws so that they can better serve you. You may ask an attorney where you can also look and what to look under.

Take care!

Ukiah

------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">