• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tarotdoll777

Now Im just wondering something. This may be totally stupid but I just need a basic opinion.

Here is a message explaining what exactly its about.
The EMA scheme is a scheme that is being carried out in the UK right now. It is aimed at school leavers that go onto higher education and plans to pay them to stay on in education.

"This new ema scheme has totally been carried out the wrong way.

Just another great thing our lovely government has come up with, I know who my vote wont be going too in a year.

So basically, Ema is a new scheme to pay people who go onto higher education. Minus the ones that are a day older then the date on the paper.

I am going to be starting my AS/A levels this year, yet im going to be sitting in a class with 90% of them getting paid for working hard and I'll be getting absolutely nothing for the same exact thing.

So basically I will be given no incentive to work hard whilst these kids will be given bonuses of upto £500 to work hard. Sounds fair, doesnt it?

I am utterly discusted. A scheme like this should be for all teens (regardless of age) that are going into higher education. Afterall..thats what the schemes all about, providing an incentive to even go into college.

And where does this leave people that may be a little behind? So say someone my age has just spent a year doing a course to provide them a pathway to A levels because they did not get all 5 A-C passes. They have just spent EXTRA time working hard to get there and what do they get for it? They get penalised.

I think there is huge mistakes and holes in this scheme and it hasnt been thought about at all. What changes there with our government then?

I just think it must be against some law of discrimination to put kids in the same classroom with the same amount of work and give some money and the others none. I may as well go out to work. You wouldnt put 2 guys in a job and only pay one."

Now, to me..this sounds like discrimination. Legally, I have no idea where it stands but it certainly is discrimination.

Thanks for any comments :)

T

tarotdoll777

Because sadly there is no such thing as a law forum for the UK, and you're right...its not the best option..but even if the laws do differ slightly from place to place, basic laws are still held throughout most of the western world so I thought i'd give it a try.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In the US, what is considered illegal discrimination varies from state to state. There's no way we could answer this question for another country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">