• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC parking hell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ihateny

What is the name of your state? NY

Please excuse the cross post. I didn't realize there was a specific area for parking tickets.

Just stick with me on this. New York city has a massive group of workers combing the streets of NY to search for the smallest parking violations and ticket them. I have received such tickets for the most minute of infractions (one for having my CURRENT, NON-EXPIRED registration sticker placed ABOVE the inspection sticker and not to the left of it, another for my registration sticker being expired. The sticker had 07 04 in very large letters. In tiny letters it read July 25, 2004. My ticket came on the 26th.).

Obviously, I can't fight these based on the violations themselves. What I am wondering, and I am in no way a lawyer, is if there is any 14th amendment issues here.

New York hires a disproportionate number of parking violation officers compared to those who monitor moving violations. Would it not stand to reason that if there is a need to enforce parking laws for vehicles that the same number would be needed to enforce moving violations since presumably the same number of vehicles will be in motion at some point?

Also, I live on a one way street that has a stop sign at the end of it at a four way stop. Not only do I see people driving the wrong way up this street every day (it's near an off ramp of the highway) but I also see people run this stop sign every day. I have never seen a police officer hand out a single ticket for either offence and I have reported both to the police. Doesn't this constitute selective enforcement?

The long and short of it is the New York hands out more parking tickets because it makes them more money. It just doesn't seem to me as a lay person that I am receiving equal justice under the law.

I am very interested in this just because of the principal. Do I have any grounds to fight this based on these facts?

You Are Guilty

ihateny said:
What is the name of your state? NY

Please excuse the cross post. I didn't realize there was a specific area for parking tickets.

Just stick with me on this. New York city has a massive group of workers combing the streets of NY to search for the smallest parking violations and ticket them. I have received such tickets for the most minute of infractions (one for having my CURRENT, NON-EXPIRED registration sticker placed ABOVE the inspection sticker and not to the left of it, another for my registration sticker being expired. The sticker had 07 04 in very large letters. In tiny letters it read July 25, 2004. My ticket came on the 26th.).

Obviously, I can't fight these based on the violations themselves. What I am wondering, and I am in no way a lawyer, is if there is any 14th amendment issues here.

New York hires a disproportionate number of parking violation officers compared to those who monitor moving violations. Would it not stand to reason that if there is a need to enforce parking laws for vehicles that the same number would be needed to enforce moving violations since presumably the same number of vehicles will be in motion at some point?

Also, I live on a one way street that has a stop sign at the end of it at a four way stop. Not only do I see people driving the wrong way up this street every day (it's near an off ramp of the highway) but I also see people run this stop sign every day. I have never seen a police officer hand out a single ticket for either offence and I have reported both to the police. Doesn't this constitute selective enforcement?

The long and short of it is the New York hands out more parking tickets because it makes them more money. It just doesn't seem to me as a lay person that I am receiving equal justice under the law.

I am very interested in this just because of the principal. Do I have any grounds to fight this based on these facts?

You're joking, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">