• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This guy must be joking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

unapathetic

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I hired a lawyer back in December over a real estate issue. He completely screwed the case up, even having us in default at one point, and then refusing to do what we wanted and we ended up settling paying the other side money we felt we shouldn't have. The guy is a complete idiot or a crook, I don't know. We could not hire another attorney because no one would touch it after he screwed it up. believe me we tried. Anyway, we get this bill 90 days later for 4500. He did not earn 4500 and is listing things on there like phone calls we made to him to find out why he didn't file our answer to the complaint, the pretrial thing which was done at the same time as the motion to set aside the default which was his fault. Anyway, does he have to list the time spent on each item and how much he charges for each or can he just list a bunch of crap and an amount?

NO we didn't sign anything as he has represented us before. Oh, and he is billing my boyfriend when I am the one who hired him.

azgrandpa

If this were my situation; I would tell him to "shove it"! In diplomatic terms of course! Then I would tell him that I would welcome the opportunity to present to the court all his ineptness should he decide to sue for collections! And further, I would welcome the opportunity to cross complain for the monetary damages his ineptness caused me!

I would also remind him that it would be ill advised for this to show up on my credit report!

Lawyers!! Can't live with them & can't live with them!

M

major marco

unapathetic said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I hired a lawyer back in December over a real estate issue. He completely screwed the case up, even having us in default at one point, and then refusing to do what we wanted and we ended up settling paying the other side money we felt we shouldn't have. The guy is a complete idiot or a crook, I don't know. We could not hire another attorney because no one would touch it after he screwed it up. believe me we tried. Anyway, we get this bill 90 days later for 4500. He did not earn 4500 and is listing things on there like phone calls we made to him to find out why he didn't file our answer to the complaint, the pretrial thing which was done at the same time as the motion to set aside the default which was his fault. Anyway, does he have to list the time spent on each item and how much he charges for each or can he just list a bunch of crap and an amount?

NO we didn't sign anything as he has represented us before. Oh, and he is billing my boyfriend when I am the one who hired him.
Yours is a classic textbook example of either not having atty fees explained to you or you just didn't pay attn the 1st time. You probably signed on the dotted line to his terms when you agreed to representation - Go back and look at all that fine print legalese you signed your name to. I'd bet dollars to donuts that this atty -no matter how incompetent he may seem- made absolutely certain you were informed in writing of all applicable fees whether you agreed to them individually or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">