• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property division question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dawnee

What is the name of your state? Delaware

I am in the midst of a divorce. During my marriage we purchased a car using our tax return. The car was purchased for me and is in only my name. Now with the divorce, my husband is telling me he wants to be repaid for the "investment he put into the car". Since the return moneys were both of ours and the car is mine, he says he should be entitled to some cash from me.
I haven't actually received divorce papers yet (or a lawyer...ugh) but I want to know if he really has any ground to stand on with this claim.
He has two cars of his own so he doesn't need mine, which he doesn't want. He makes about $30k a year more than me. We have a child (infant) which I will have custody of (well not if he can help it, but that is a completely different issue).
Not sure what other info would be needed to answer this question. But if someone could tell me, what are the odds that a judge would make me pay him anything for this car. (oh and it was a used car purchased in cash for $5000, which came out of our joint checking account, and was purchased completely and totally by me).

D

Dawnee

He purchased his cars before we were married. Mine was purchased after the marriage.

D

Dawnee

Yes I know that already. My question was, since the car was purchased during the marriage and I have the car, could I have to pay him anything for it?

Q

quicstp

Hope this helps Dawnee...

I dont know the law in Delaware but I have seen cases in Tennessee, where a vehicle was purchased during the marriage and because the mother had custody of the child she was allowed to keep the vehicle and the debt, however you dont owe on yours. Income is a factor also in this case. I dont think a judge will make you pay him money for a vehicle when he makes alot more than you and when in fact this vehicle is being used not only for you but also his childs transportation. Probably not much help but cheer up, I think this entire ordeal will blow up in his face.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">