• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mommyof3

Please answer a question that has been bothering me for awhile. If I was never married to my children's father and we never went to court to determine custody of the children exactly who has custody? And what rights does he have to the children?

Custody denotes care, guardianship and responsibility. It seems you have that if you have the children physically living with you.

The real question is who's name is on the birth certs.? His? Then he is the legal father, and has all the rights of a father.
At least, in my humble opinion. Not being a lawyer, I wouldn't know what the law says. Someone else will have to answer that.

R

Ria

In NY I was told who ever goes to court and files. ( I could be wrong but this is what I was told)I was not married to my daughters father at the time and was going to leave him ,so I went to court to file for custody and was told I had to go before the judge and testify I was her custodial parent, unfortunatly he talked me out of it and when I went to withdraw my claim I was told both of us had to go to court and he had to tell the judge he infact was her Bio father. It was explained when you are not married in NY you have to go before a judge to "prove" paternity due to the fact you can put any name on the birth certificate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">