• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

motion for entry of default judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kymem73

What is the name of your state? Florida
I received a motion for entry of default judgement letter today from my landlords attorney. I do not know what this means. In response to our eviction, the judge has set a pre trial date for the 24th of Aug. Do I need to respond to the court with this letter. I am lost on what it is for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Or simply an explanation of what these papers mean. Thank you much!

JETX

What this means is that your landlord is asking the court to award them a judgment against you, due to some failure of yours. Presumably, you were noticed of a lawsuit and didn't answer as required by your state rules. If you don't remember (or ignored) the notice, I suggest you contact the court noted in the filing and see if you were sued and when/how you were served with notice of the suit.

K

kymem73

I replied to the notice in detail and sent with my reply all papers I had. The judge has set a pre trial date, that I plan on being present. What I don't understand is how this motion can be taken by LL attorney. From what I have looked up this can action is after either, i did not respond or attend a court date. I did respond to the court and sent a copy of my response to LL attorney within time period allowed. I am filled with confusion! :confused:

JETX

Yep, either party to the lawsuit can file a motion for summary judgment... it is now up to you to file a response.... and/or request a hearing on the motion.

K

kymem73

Alrighty... I need to respond, goodness, I surely will! Slumlords stink an ucky stinch! May they one day be corrected :p Thank you so much for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">