• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can stepchildren live with me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LisaG

This involves three states, SC where I live, NC where the children live with mother and GA where the custody trial was held. Major point. Father is in prison serving time for "so-called child molestation" of the three children. Question: Children have contacted me asking if they can come live with me, ages 16, 15, and 12. They have money for bus tickets and want me to hire attorney to obtain custody for them and to clear their Dad's name. They are tired of being used as pawns in a game and want the truth to be told. Money is very tight and limited. Any advice. Can I legally let them come to me on their own. I was advised not to transport them over state lines, when I told them this they informed me they had been saving for bus tickets to get away. One child had been put into mental institution twice because of attempt to rebel against mother. State of NC believes that she had used the GA legal system and advised all of them to come to me. Any suggestions on how to handle all of this. I cannot afford attorney until I know for sure they are serious, (cannot afford to throw money away) and do not want to do anything any more to damage these poor children. They just need to be loved and some intense counseling to sort this all out.

U

Ukiah

I feel that if they came of their own "free will", that you may have a chance. Once they get there go to court, clear Dad's name and file for custody. Seek legal counsel before and after they arrive! (Free Consultation)
Some attorney will put you on a payment plan, so don't give up!

It is SO wrong that alot of parents put their children in harms way and don't care what the child wants and forces them to lie or makes the child afraid of them to get what they want- which in the end is to get back at the other parent. Those are the parents who should lose custody of the child!! I just wish that parents would focus more on the child and do the right thing for the child's benefit!!

Either way, good luck!

Ukiah

------------------
All that you have read in no way is Legal Advice, it is a matter of opinion to help you in your quest

L

LisaG

Thank you for your reply, that is kind of what I planned but am just scared she will try to make this even more horrible than it already is. The children have been caught once trying to plan their escape and she punished them. Their plans are to take a bus to the nearest bus stop to me and I plan on having the local sheriff go with me to pick them up and straight to the lawyers office to file for temporary custody. I know the good Lord will help us all through this. The children will come first and then I will worry about their Dad. Thanks again and say a special prayer for us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">