• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Question - Due to a Murder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jseaman4

I have a complicated question regarding estate laws in the state of Michigan. In this case the deceased was murdered by his wife and left two sons as sole surviors - I am one of the sons. Since his wife is currently on trial for the his murder - she is still entitled (as I understand it) to 1/2 of the estate - with myself and my brother entitled to split the other half. My issue is - what can I do legally to block her from her half of the estate until the completion of the trial - whereupon - if she is guilty - will not be entitled to any of the estate.

The problem I have here is that I don't want to see my father's estate used to defend his murderer with some garbage twinkee defense and endless appeals. Please let me know if there is some reason to hire a lawyer to file a paper or do something. There is no will and the estate is being set up to have my brother and myself as executors of the estate.

Thanks.

Dandy Don

Talk to a local criminal law attorney to find out whether if she is CONVICTED of murder would that prevent her from collecting from his estate, and then delay probate or put her share of the money in a bank account and don't pay until you find out if she is convicted.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

BelizeBreeze

Who is the executor of the estate?

That is the person who can keep probate open until a verdict is reached and then act accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">