• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer negligence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Justyce

California
I was recently in a juvenile case, and my appointed lawyer did not advise the court that one of the people they were required to contact had molested one of my children, and had threatened the life of myself and the child he molested. He also promised to abduct another of my children.
Because he didn't say anything, this man was sent all my personal information. He now knows where I live, where I work, and where my children go to school. All of this information should have been confidential.
He was a substitute lawyer on my first day, and he hasn't been assigned to my case since. I asked my current lawyer how I would go about filing a grievance against him, and was told he is the head partner for their firm, and while I'm still able to file a grievance, there is not much chance of anything being done.
What's my next step?

M

major marco

Justyce said:
California
I was recently in a juvenile case, and my appointed lawyer did not advise the court that one of the people they were required to contact had molested one of my children, and had threatened the life of myself and the child he molested. He also promised to abduct another of my children.
Because he didn't say anything, this man was sent all my personal information. He now knows where I live, where I work, and where my children go to school. All of this information should have been confidential.
He was a substitute lawyer on my first day, and he hasn't been assigned to my case since. I asked my current lawyer how I would go about filing a grievance against him, and was told he is the head partner for their firm, and while I'm still able to file a grievance, there is not much chance of anything being done.
What's my next step?
Heads *will* roll if you are vocifereous enough with that grievance, particularly because it involved threats of abduction and murder. Somebody screwed up and violated the following rules. Don't let your current atty tell you otherwise. Get a difft atty in on the matter if you aren't satisfied with the current.
http://www.abanet.org/cpr/mrpc/rule_1_6.html
http://www.abanet.org/cpr/mrpc/rule_1_18.html
http://www.abanet.org/cpr/mrpc/rule_1_9.html

J

Justyce

Thank You

Thanks so much for the info.
I'm learning that many people in this system get away with a lot just because most of us don't know all the rules.

rmet4nzkx

There was no restraining order in place against that person, because you opted to not get one and move years ago. For that reason, even though you told people re the history, there was nothing on file in CLETS. The information was given out as required by law in the absense of the restraining order.

If you have a complaint, it is against the attorney who advised you years ago, not to get a restraining order, you could have got one, your confidential information could have been witheld from the order and still moved, making tracking you more difficult, the order still would have been in CLETS and the court would not have contacted him.

This is not fair, but this is how the system works. You had a choice then, you made a choice not to get a restraining order and you have a restraining order now.

Asking the same question over and over again won't change it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">