• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors claim my palm trees blocking their views

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

famster

What is the name of your state? CA

I live in a community that has CC&Rs but no HOA. The neighbors who live at the back of my house but on a higher elevation are claiming that my palm trees are blocking their views and through their attorney, demand that we cut down the palm trees on our front lawn.

The 3 palm trees were planted when we moved in the house when it was first built, 16 years ago. Now the trees are taller and some of the fronds are reaching about 2 feet above the highest point of our roof. The neighbors are not the original owners of their houses. They moved in about 10 years ago. From the backyard of the neighbor immediate behind our house, no view is obstructed. They have 180 degree views plus total unobstructed views from their deck on the 2nd floor. Yet they claim that some of the fronds are blocking the views when the viewpoint is from their kitchen.

The other neighbor is 2 houses away, also at the higher elevation. They also have 180 degree views and deck on the 2nd floor but they choose to look toward my palm trees because they want to see the "night lights from the highschool". On one hand, they said that they wanted the ability to look at the views like the date they moved in. On the other hand, they want to focus on the "nightlights from the highschool" but then, the highschool was built only last year! Before that, all they could see was a dried hill and at night, darkness, because there were no houses then.

The CC&Rs address views as below:

VIEWS-- Each homeowner will respect the view corridors of all other homeowners. No solid fence, or other improvements,including plantings, shrubs, trees, or other vegetation shall be constructed or placed so as to obstruct a view corridor of any other homeowner, unless expressly agreed to by a written, recorded document signed by each of the homeowners

I don't think the builder thought of this kind of problem when they wrote the CC&Rs because they never once mentioned about not planting trees that could grow tall. They even planted mature, tall palm trees on the grounds of their model homes. Those trees are very tall by now and are still standing.

I feel that the CC&Rs are too vague when "view corridors" is used. To my neighbors, the space between houses on the street below them (our street) is part of their views and no trees should be planted to block that view. I would like to know if I have the rights to retain my palm trees that have been around a lot longer than my neighbors have. After all, this clump of 3 king palm trees are the only palm trees we have left on our property. A month ago, we already cut down 4 other palm trees due to the same demand from these neighbors.

Please share your legal advice with me. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

joekelly1973 said:
You are out of luck. The CC&Rs are unambiguous in their intention -- views are to be protected.
I totally disagree. Unless you can come back here and define 'view corridor' for every member of this forum.

nextwife

Personally, I find the idea of cutting down mature healthy trees that contribute positively to the environment because a few fronds wave into someone's line of sight abhorant.

Heck, if no trees were in my way, I could see Lake Michigan from my bedroom.

BelizeBreeze

And if it were my palm trees I'd be getting REAL pissy and ask them to identify the offending fonds so they could be trimmed :D

JETX

And of course, I agree.
Some random thoughts....
1) The trees, as you describe them, are NOT in violation of the CCR's. Specifically, they are NOT "solid". Clearly, the view may not be 180°, but it certainly not blocking their entire 'view'.

2) You, and the trees, were there before they were and they should have factored the 'growth' of the trees in their decision to purchase. Their failure to do so has no impact on you. In fact, you could even argue that the deal they got 'factored' the trees future impact into the pricing!! (Hell, that is as good as their claim that you have to trim the trees!!).

Last edited:
F

famster

Palm trees

Thank you all for your replies and comments.

I am scheduled to talk to an attorney about this issue and will know what rights I have/have not on this.

My wife suggested that we hang... Christmas trees on our palm trees so at night, our neighbors would still be able to see the "night lights" in the highschool direction :). I think if I come out a winner in this case, I will put a few spot lights on the trees to remind our beloved neighbors of the trees' presence for the years to come.

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">