• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of implied-in-fact contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeaniesjewel

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My husband worked as head of the field department for a structural steel company for 10 years, giving complete loyalty and quality work, at times working upwards of 80 and 90 hours a week. He was given repeated promises of a job to the end and his work record, raises, bonuses and other rewards show his value to the company. A few years ago the owner of the company started an annuity/life insurance policy for office employees and my husband's annuity was worth a huge amount more than any other employee except for the owner, whose annuity had the same dollar value as my husband's. At least twice in the the past 10 years the owner made comments stating that my husband would have a job even if they had to run it with a skeleton crew or as a machine shop. About 2 months ago a new employee was hired to make changes in the company and to take over parts of my husband's responsibilities so he could devote more time in the field. He could do this man's job and several others within the company. Less than 2 weeks before the field department was shut down my husband was promised that his loyalty would pay off. One day he went into work and was told they had to shut down the field because they just couldn't afford it anymore and my husband was out of a job. They gave a few of the field employees offers for jobs in other parts of the company but no offer to my husband except 1 week severence pay. The owner kept the new employee and even went so far as to ask my husband how he felt that he was keeping this employee and getting rid of my husband. My husband was the highest paid employee in the company. There were huge profits in his department in the past and when the field was shut down they had jobs on the books still to be done but because of bad upper management and bad quality material coming out of their shop his profits were falling and sometimes no profits and even losses occured but the only option he was given was to complain to the boss and little or nothing was done about the problems within other parts of the company that were causing his loss of profits. Considering loss of income, benefits and a very large life insurance/annuity we don't feel 1 week severence is sufficient and his second offer of 3 weeks severence is no more acceptable. Do we possibly have a case of wrongful termination for breach of implied-in-fact contract? Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">