• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deceived13

I married a woman that was already pregnant and I was told that the BIODAD was deceased. We have since divorced and I am on the birth certificate and other custody modifications. My ex has since told the child about his BIODAD and she only wants me to have supervised visitation and I have recently found out that the BIODAD is in fact alive and well. Since I am to be basically cut out of the childs life and my only purpose is money, can I legally give up my parental rights? Shouldn't the BIODAD have some responsibility? I'm not sure why my ex lied all these years but the child is 13 yrs old. What can I do?

J

JessicaArlyn

Hello, this may not be what you want to hear, but you said the child is 13. Can you, in good faith, cut yourself out of this child's life? He/she is at an age where they know the situation, and know who has "been there" for them. It must be devastating, being lied to all of these years, but if you give up your rights just to save some money, there will be be amount of money that can repair the damage YOU do to this child, by sending this message. You haven't given us a very detailed account of the situation, but from what you said, I personally believe you will, in the long run, cut off your nose to spite your face. Be the better person here.
Jessica/CA

D

deceived13

Believe me I understand ALL of the implications here and of course there is much more to the story than we have room for here, but again my question is , if I am in essence not going to be allowed any contact with the child and if the child and the mom both see this only as a way to milk me for all it's worth,and in fact laugh about how they are "going to make me pay", should I have to put up with it? And the flip side is shouldn't the BIODAD have anything to do with the situation? I'm not sure he even knows about the child and if he doesn't know, doesn't he have a right to be involved?
I'm not asking moral questions, I am here for legal advice, not counseling.

D

decieved13

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your responses. I know what the disclaimer at the bottom says, but the heading at the top also says "Free Advice.com for thousands of answers to legal questions." But I also want to reiterate that I was told about the pregnancy prior to it being possible for me to be the BIODAD. Also, she claims to this day that he is not alive so the deception continues. The divorce has been final for 3yrs and we live in MN.

A

Always searching

x

[This message has been edited by Always searching (edited October 14, 2000).]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Always searching:
IAAL, you are such an honorable man. I just thought I would tell you how much I admire you. Thanks. You make my world a better place.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You're a sweetheart for saying. Honor, Duty, Country. That's the credo that we attorneys live by. Or, was that the Marines?

JessicaArlyn was only trying to help. She had some questions - that never got answered - - and was doing the best she could with the information she had.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

A

Always searching

x

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Always searching:
People might start talking..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Let's give 'em somthing to talk about, baby, a little mystery to figure out! - - how about love, love, love . . ."

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

A

Always searching

x

D

deceived13

IAAL, I do have sense of humor, and I had to laugh at your post because it was spoken like a true laywer :"It doesn't say free legal advice to legal questions, it says answers to legal questions." I do want to thank everyone for their input and time and I meant no disrespect to JessicaArlyn. However IAAL,I am confused as to how the phrase "I'm not asking moral questions, I am here for legal advice, not counseling." constitutes "verbal abuse". Anyone who has been around the world of the internet knows that most people are direct and to the point.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deceived13:
However IAAL,I am confused as to how the phrase "I'm not asking moral questions, I am here for legal advice, not counseling." constitutes "verbal abuse". Anyone who has been around the world of the internet knows that most people are direct and to the point.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Hey thanks JessicaArlyn, I have to tell you that I have thought long and hard about this situation and I am still not sure what the end result will be. What I am really after though is advice on the legal side of things, you know, the actual letter of the law. I am interesting in knowing that side of things before I do anything else. So if you or anyone else can help it would be mucho appreciated, thanks again for your response.'

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deceived13:
I married a woman that was already pregnant and I was told that the BIODAD was deceased. We have since divorced and I am on the birth certificate and other custody modifications. My ex has since told the child about his BIODAD and she only wants me to have supervised visitation and I have recently found out that the BIODAD is in fact alive and well. Since I am to be basically cut out of the childs life and my only purpose is money, can I legally give up my parental rights? Shouldn't the BIODAD have some responsibility? I'm not sure why my ex lied all these years but the child is 13 yrs old. What can I do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In concur whole heartedly with my student IAAL. Your best approach would be to get an attorney and slap her with a visitation petition and get it established in court the times when you can visit with the child. She does not have much say in the matter...

IAAL, I will give you an A+ on this one and an extra credit for being nice 'above and beyond the call to really abuse someone'. Outstanding work.. If you keep this up I am sure you will get through Law School. Come see me at lunch time for your next assignment.

------------------
Psst... I do not work for Macdonald’s or Burger King, and even if I did, I would not tell you. For sloppy bread, tired tomatoes, frozen onions, watered down mayonnaise and imitation meat, please find a drive through window with a person who openly admits they make that stuff.

My advice above is equal to the advice they would give if you asked that person a legal question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">