• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong side of the fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kdaherman

Hello, i am a resident of Jersey county in Illinois. I am currently having problems with my neighbor. My wife and i decided to construct an 8 foot privacy fence to block our view of him. The fence is 6 inches back from the property line 175 feet long. I called the jersey county building inspector and found out that there are no county ordinances regarding fence construction since i do not live within city limits. I next checked with the court house to see if any cvenants existed regarding fences and none do. I also called the township road commissioner to see if i was breaking any laws rearding the fence. I got the ok from everyone i could think of. Once construction began, my neighbor came by and told the worker that unless the finished boards were put on his side of the fence he would take me to court. I continued to have the entire fence put on my side of it. Does he have any legal ground to sue me? I have never heard that the finished side of a fence must face your neighbor. I think he is just threatening to be a jerk. If he goes to the court clerk and initiates a suit, does he have to list a law or convenant being broken or is it true you can sue anyone for anything?

BelizeBreeze

Tell the neighbor the next time he says that finished boards must be placed on his side of the fence tell him 'thank you' for helping with the construction but please do so without stepping one toe onto your property.

Then, be prepared to prove that the entire fence is on your land by having a current survey.

If it is, indeed, completely on your land, you can tell the neighbor to pound rocks.

K

kdaherman

illinois, he actually had it surveyed twice and i agree with the results. the put up metal posts with string from property marker to property marker. i built my fence on my side of his wires. you didn't repsond about his ability to take me to court.

BelizeBreeze

you didn't repsond about his ability to take me to court.
And guess why?

Hell, I could take you to court. If I didn't like the way your nose hung, or the way you combed your hair or I was just pissed at the world. That doesn't mean I would win or even be heard.

He has a right to take anyone to court for anything. It doesn't mean he stands a snowball's chance in republican territory of winning.

Forget him and get on with your life. He's not worth the effort.

nextwife

And hopefully, you HAD thoroughly researched any and all applicable restrictions on fence construction, including reviewing your title policy to verify that no deed restriction existed that applies to fences for your property.

Last edited:
K

kdaherman

wrong side of the fence

I checked every possible piece of paperwork i could. no one has answered my question about a countersuit if i go to court. he is the type of guy to take me just to be a jerk. can i countersue to get my court costs back?

BelizeBreeze

kdaherman said:
I checked every possible piece of paperwork i could. no one has answered my question about a countersuit if i go to court. he is the type of guy to take me just to be a jerk. can i countersue to get my court costs back?

Please point out where you said anything about a countersuit.

I'll be waiting.

K

kdaherman

wrong side of the fence

illinois. sorry i have been emailing all morning and forgot what i was typing. if i go to court against him. can i countersue for my attorney fees and court costs?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">