• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Still Qualify for Severance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lucyluwho

What is the name of your state? PA

I received notice from my employer in April that my position would be moved out of state effective June 30. They offered a severance package effective on the date of termination upon signature of their separation agreement. In early June they offered to extend my employment to August 31, and I signed a new separation agreement. I have found a new position and have provided notice that my last day will be August 6. Is my current employer obligated to pay the severance even though I'm leaving early? I didn't believe so, but I've heard from several folks who work in management in large corporations that they still need to pay out. The rationale is that I wouldn't have searched for a new position unless I was losing my current job.

Help! Thanks!!

Only you know what was written in your separation agreement. You said you signed a "new" agreement. What did it say? Did it say you will be paid for severance on the day you resigned - which is Aug 6 ?? I think CBG has mentioned before in his other posts that employers are not required to pay severance. So it's all up to what agreed and signed with your company, and that - we have no clue unless you tell us.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As BeenAround says, it will depend on whatever severance agreement you have, but it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will be eligible. The purpose of severance is to tide you over financially while you are looking for other employment. If you have found other employment, there is no need for severance pay. I will be exceedingly surprised if the severance agreement allows for you to receive any payment under the circumstances you describe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">