• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threatened to get car towed, had to pay 96$ on the spot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

grro6

Minnesota, MN
Hello! I need an advise!
I parked my car on McDonald’s own parking lot in Minneapolis, MN and went to the grocery store next to the restaurant to get cash from ATM, 5-7 minutes later when I came back to the parking lot I saw a guy from the towing company putting a block on my tire. Apparently he was inside the restaurant looking for people like me not going to the restaurant straight from the car. He said that I need to pay a fee right away or my car will be towed and the charge will be much higher. I tried to explain him that I was going to go to McDonald’s but had to get cash first. I was very scare and I paid this 96$ fee and he let me go only after he received money. Of course I did not go to this restaurant after this.
My question is how can I complaint about this? Can I get my money back? The parking guy was rude and aggressive trying to make me pay this fee.
I felt really bad….. :(

thanks in advance, former McDonald's customer

BelizeBreeze

My question is how can I complaint about this?
You can write your congressman/woman.

You can write Ronald.

You can scream at the top of your lungs until someone hears you.

Can I get my money back?
Doubtful based solely on the facts presented. You were on private property and as such, McDonald's has the right to restrict the use of their parking lot.

Of course, you could always sue McDonald's, pay about $1,000 to an attorney and see what happens. Hell, if the fat guy in Australia can do it so can you....but then, you'd lose.

stephenk

you were scammed. do you have the name of the tow company? report the act to the police. you should also notify the manager of the McDonald's. I doubt they have a tow contract with that guy.

towguy

im a tow guy

hello,
I drive a tow truck and we tow cars from a mcdonalds in are local jurisdiction ( i didnt tow your car) but i will say the driver and the restauraunt are perfectly right in the law to tow your car even if you left the lot for 5 minutes , on the other side if he dropped your car on the mcdonalds lot he should have charged you half of what the full price of the impound is , now i dont know what the prices are where your from but if he charrged you 96 dollars then the price should say double that on the posted sign, also make sure there are signs posted... But from what ive seen congress people and such cant do much your best bet is takeing the tow company to small claims court for over chargeing you, you dont have much of a case for being illegally towed since mcdonalds is free to make the parking laws on there property and if the tow guy saw you leave hes aloud to tow you....

moburkes

Minnesota, MN
Hello! I need an advise!
I parked my car on McDonald’s own parking lot in Minneapolis, MN and went to the grocery store next to the restaurant to get cash from ATM, 5-7 minutes later when I came back to the parking lot I saw a guy from the towing company putting a block on my tire. Apparently he was inside the restaurant looking for people like me not going to the restaurant straight from the car. He said that I need to pay a fee right away or my car will be towed and the charge will be much higher. I tried to explain him that I was going to go to McDonald’s but had to get cash first. I was very scare and I paid this 96$ fee and he let me go only after he received money. Of course I did not go to this restaurant after this.
My question is how can I complaint about this? Can I get my money back? The parking guy was rude and aggressive trying to make me pay this fee.
I felt really bad….. :(

thanks in advance, former McDonald's customer
And, what small town do you live in, that McDonald's doesn't accept debit or credit cards?

ceara19

hello,
I drive a tow truck and we tow cars from a mcdonalds in are local jurisdiction ( i didnt tow your car) but i will say the driver and the restauraunt are perfectly right in the law to tow your car even if you left the lot for 5 minutes , on the other side if he dropped your car on the mcdonalds lot he should have charged you half of what the full price of the impound is , now i dont know what the prices are where your from but if he charrged you 96 dollars then the price should say double that on the posted sign, also make sure there are signs posted... But from what ive seen congress people and such cant do much your best bet is takeing the tow company to small claims court for over chargeing you, you dont have much of a case for being illegally towed since mcdonalds is free to make the parking laws on there property and if the tow guy saw you leave hes aloud to tow you....
And you dug up a 2 1/2 year old thread to tell a person that is no longer here WHY exactly?

towguy

didnt see the date

because i didnt see the date just ran into this searching through other stuff but anyways its a common problem so it really dosnt matter anyways alot of people get there car towed and wanna know the procedures.... anyways you replying to me is just as stupid so have a nice day

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">