• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Checks endorsed by one party only

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaerts

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?

Washington State

Although still married, my wife and I are living apart.
My wife has endorsed three Federal refund checks with HER signature only and deposit them in HER bank account.
These are joint checks and require both signatures.
I obtained a copy of these checks.
1. Is this prosecutable?
2. What is the bank liability to accept checks signed by one party only?

1) Is this IRS tax refund check ?
2) The check was made out to both you and your wife ? Sometimes, even though it's a joint return, IRS may print only one name - so double check
3) Since you said you have a copy of the check, can you see if her name is the only endorsement one on the back ?
4) Is your name on HER account ?
5) Does she have an account at a regular bank ? Or is this a credit union ?
6) How did you obtain copies of these checks after they were cashed ? Or do you mean, you had made copies before your wife deposited the checks ?

You can dispute this with IRS - call them and they will send you a form to file a complaint.

Dandy Don

Did you obtain a copy of the BACK of the checks so you can actually see how she endorsed it? If you didn't, then ask the bank to provide you a copy of the back--they will usually cooperate.

Have you asked her for half of the money and has she refused to give it to you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">