• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Employer LYING to potential employers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Somewhere

What is the name of your state?OH
I have just recieved word from several sources -- ALL could be potential employers -- that a former employer, one I left, is stating to people in public forums and to these people either verbally or in writing, that I was FIRED. Not "terminated", but "fired." Are there any steps to take to warn them what he is doing is wrong -- like a cease and desist?

Thanks!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not necessarily, enjay. To a true HR type, terminated means the employment ended, period. We talk of "voluntary terminations" (a quit) or "involuntary terminations" (which could be anything from a layoff to a firing to a medical leave that lasted beyond the company limits).

That's why, before I answer the poster's question, I need a comprehensive explanation of exactly how their employment came to end.

S

Somewhere

No, I was not. I quit, with documentation to prove it (email).

That is why I didn't use "terminate" because in the world of HR, an employee who is no longer employed with them is "terminated."

My former employer has stated I was "fired". This is false.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Somewhere, can you show any damages because of this? Have you not been hired for any job and you can conclusively show that had the former employer NOT lied, you WOULD have gotten the job?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">