• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlocked with private road

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cccomp

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I have property with a house at one end. At the other end is a private road which originates at a county maintained road. It provides access to four homes before my property. There is a perscriptive easement which crosses my property to allow access to a fifth property.
If I devide my property by selling the home and half the property it will leave the other end, where the easement and private road are, landlocked.
Under landlocked property laws would I need permission to access my land via the private road? What would I need to do to gain access via the private road? I understand I would need to share in maintanance costs of the private road and my access would not impede access to the fifth property.
How many homesites may a private road provide access to before the county takes over maintanance and responsibility since more residents provide more taxes for maintenance expense?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

cccomp said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I have property with a house at one end. At the other end is a private road which originates at a county maintained road. It provides access to four homes before my property. There is a perscriptive easement which crosses my property to allow access to a fifth property.
If I devide my property by selling the home and half the property it will leave the other end, where the easement and private road are, landlocked.
Under landlocked property laws would I need permission to access my land via the private road? What would I need to do to gain access via the private road? I understand I would need to share in maintanance costs of the private road and my access would not impede access to the fifth property.
How many homesites may a private road provide access to before the county takes over maintanance and responsibility since more residents provide more taxes for maintenance expense?

**A: you are not allowed to subdivide creating a landlocked parcel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">