• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Remove Resume or Resign Your Position?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

webmistress555

What is the name of your state? Texas
This is the first time I've browsed this forum for answers, and first time I've posted -- I apologize for the lengthy post...
I have been employed full-time for 3 years with the same company. Upon hire, I made it known that I had a secondary job which I would need to maintiain during my employment (financial reasons), one which was flexible and would not interfere with my duties or my schedule. They stated (at the time) that a second job was "no problem" as long as there were no conflicts in scheduling. I signed a no-compete employment agreement, one which was signed at hire and another approx 1 yr later (when the contracts were re-written, we all had to sign again)...Neither of the employee-employer contracts made mention of "exclusivity" of employment with this company. This secondary job was in fact temporary, and recently the contract ended. I have actively continued searching for employment to take the place of this temp 2nd job, which is a necessity. Recently, I updated my resume to reflect some of the additional skills I had acquired thru this second job, and to reflect my current employment situation. My supervisor, who is also Director of our department, evidently saw my updated information on this public jobsearch site (where it has remained since before I was hired and in the 3 yrs since) and sent me a one-sentence email which reads: " ...Need you to remove your resume on '---.com'. Please remove it, or resign your position."

This company has seen such an incredible amount of turnover in the 3 years since I was hired that quite honestly, my supervisor and I are the among only 4 or 5 of a staff of 150+ who have been there for more than 2 years. They have terminated people for even the slightest "infractions", and have given less information to the terminated employee than even that one sentence in an email. I would like to speak with her, to at least explain that I am not seeking full-time employment, only to replace the temp/ 2nd job which recently ended. However, given such situations with other employees in the past, it has been my experience they there is no justification or explanation: either follow instructions or be terminated. ...even though she did not directly threaten me with termination, she has asked me to remove my resume or resign my position, and I would like to know what my rights are should I face termination over this matter...here are my questions:

If I was hired with full-knowledge that I needed and would have throughout my employment with them a second job (as long as no conflicts occurred in scheduling); and If there is no clause or mention of "exclusivity" as an employee of their company (only the no-compete clause upon termination); does she / the company have the right to prevent me from actively seeking employment in ADDITION TO my current position? And can I be forced into resignation? Do I not have a right to continue to seek employment as long as there is no stipulation that I cannot otherwise be employed with another company? Is their demand (and what I'm sure will be their action of terminating me, should I not comply) not somehow infringing on my rights to work if my need to maintain additional employment was discussed openly and agreed upon at the time I was hired?

Any information is deeply appreciated; including whether or not (given the above info) this situation warrants hiring an attorney and going from there? Thanks in advance for any advice....

BelizeBreeze

the plain fact is they can fire you for this, or any other reason not protected by federal law.

Your mistake was in taking the skills learned in the new position to search for a job (be it second or not) using those skills.

Either take the resume off Monster or get fired. Pretty simple decision right?

W

webmistress555

Thanks for the quick reply! And indeed, I understand "simple enough" as u say that I should take the resume off the website. However, just to clarify, that the issue of whether or not to comply with this demand isn't my question...

Can they "demand" my resignation / force me to resign? From reading other questions / posts, I see that there can be no benefit in resigning no matter what their issue is with me. I should obey this demand, take the resume off the website, period. Then if I am still fired, I am "fired", and have a chance to claim unemployment benefits, right?

I was hired, accepting the position with the condition that I had need of and would be allowed to hold a secondary job for the term of my employment with this company, so long as there were no scheduling conflicts. This was agreed upon by both parties at the time I was hired. Should they now terminate me for actively seeking to replace that second job, do I have any rights other than just filing an unemployment claim and hoping for the best?

Thanks again for any information!
:confused:

JETX

Can they "demand" my resignation / force me to resign?
Yes. And if you refuse to remove the resume from the other site, then they can terminate you. Simply, as noted by breezy, the employer can terminate you for any non-prohibited reason they want... or for no reason at all.

Then if I am still fired, I am "fired", and have a chance to claim unemployment benefits, right?
Maybe, maybe not. The problem here is that the employer can properly state your reason for termination was insubordination.... and therefore, with cause. As such, it is unlikely (but still possible) that you would qualify for UC.

I was hired, accepting the position with the condition that I had need of and would be allowed to hold a secondary job for the term of my employment with this company, so long as there were no scheduling conflicts. This was agreed upon by both parties at the time I was hired. Should they now terminate me for actively seeking to replace that second job, do I have any rights other than just filing an unemployment claim and hoping for the best?
Nope. As stated above, there is no obligation on the employer to continue to allow you the 'luxury' of second employment if they don't want to.

W

webmistress555

:eek: That helps a lot! Thanks again for responding so quickly and for the info! I was really trying to prepare for the worst, and wanting to know if I had any right to do anything about it should the worst come to pass. I guess the best way to "prepare for the worst" is to keep writing it all down (keeping accounts of what's happened so far) and keep following instructions, hoping that will be enough. After reading your posts and a little thought, humble pie, etc, seems like I should be searching for a better job, period...and am now tossing around the idea of starting my own business (and no, it won't breach my no-compete agreement with the current emplyr!).
I am very grateful for your responses (knocking some of the hot air out of the bag of wind I was becoming over this, lol--much needed); and grateful for this forum. Thanks JETX, and B.Breeze! Best wishes...

BelizeBreeze

webmistress555 said:
:eek: That helps a lot! Thanks again for responding so quickly and for the info! I was really trying to prepare for the worst, and wanting to know if I had any right to do anything about it should the worst come to pass. I guess the best way to "prepare for the worst" is to keep writing it all down (keeping accounts of what's happened so far) and keep following instructions, hoping that will be enough. After reading your posts and a little thought, humble pie, etc, seems like I should be searching for a better job, period...and am now tossing around the idea of starting my own business (and no, it won't breach my no-compete agreement with the current emplyr!).
I am very grateful for your responses (knocking some of the hot air out of the bag of wind I was becoming over this, lol--much needed); and grateful for this forum. Thanks JETX, and B.Breeze! Best wishes...

Can we use you for the new FA poster child????:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">