• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex roommate is threatining to sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Squishy

What is the name of your state?tx

Ok first off me and my fiance moved into a house with 2 other friends after one of there friends screwed them over our names were never on the lease and no contracts were ever made or signed so there was nothing ever in our names. We moved in under the influece of paying 400 for everythng that was pretty much 1/3 of all bills well not even after a month of living there one of the friends moves out and sticks us with paying the rest. Bills were past due from the 2 of them before we got there so he left with owing money. About a month later we had a another friend move in and he couldnt pay hardly anything so we were paying half of the rent and gave what he could to other bills we were never asked to pay more than this or we would of. After a couple of months of the original roommate saying he was going to do stuff an dtalking crap behind our backs we got fed up with it and left. Now he is wanting to sue us for past due bills what can i do :confused:

N

nicolia

Don't worry about it

Your names were never on the lease, nor did you sign any contracts.

At most, you have a verbal contract to pay $400 a month, which I assume you did. That $400 was your only legal obligation.

However, I have seen cases where judges in small claims ordered people in your same position to pay part of the bills after someone left...even though the extra amount was not part of the original agreement.

All you need to tell the judge was that you had an agreement to pay $400 a month to "help out." The rent (and the bills) were the sole responsibility of the parties on the lease.

"Now he is wanting to sue us for past due bills what can i do "

May I suggest taking a remedial English and Grammar class ?

S

Squishy

hey drewfromca i didnt ask for smart a$$ remarks matter of fact show me where it says now leave your smart a$$ remarks

bisto

Squishy said:
hey drewfromca i didnt ask for smart a$$ remarks matter of fact show me where it says now leave your smart a$$ remarks
If you want an answer to a question you should make sure people can read your question. What you wrote was a pile of crap and DrewfromCA was correct to ask you to fix the crap you wrote.
The reason you probably don't have a contract is because you were not sure what the papers you were given were for.

N

nicolia

The Pot called...

Bistro, Bistro, Bistro...

First you tell Squishy that his sentance was poorly written, then you write the following:

"The reason you probably don't have a contract is because you were not sure what the papers you were given were for."

For shame...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">