• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

handicap violation dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mcriley

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? georgia

i live in an apartment complex. they recently took down the handicap sign in front of my building, but the blue handicap decal is still on the concrete. i asked them if we could now use the handicap space for regular parking and they said yes. i also recall reading somewhere that in order for a parking space to be handicap restricted it had to have a sign in front of it in addition to the blue decal. last night i got a parking ticket for a handicap violation. should i pay the ticket or fight it in court? i need to know asap because if i pay it by august 9th it is $60, after that it is $100. thanks

i found my answer in section 40-6-221 of the official code of georgia annotated. since my section of the apartment complex was built after 7/1/87 there must be a warning sign in addition to the blue decal.

Last edited:

mrtoledo

I have the same question

I live in Michigan.

There is an individual I work with that insists that he can park in a handicapped spot becausse it is only painted and there is no signs. This "all-star" not only parks is Corvette in one of the spots he also parks a company van in another spot. I would love to get him ticketed.

rmet4nzkx

That is the regulation in California, the handicap spot has to have the painted blue demarcation and a sign, this is pretty standard. I have called the police when people were using the handicap spot only to have them not ticketed because it lacked a sign. You will have to check your state's requirments. The police can ticket on private property for these violations. If it requires a sign, then take pictures of the parking spot showing it doesn't have a sign, get a letter from the aparement management showing they removed the sign and gave you permission to park there. They should be painting it over so there is no question in the future and you should be able to fight the ticket. I hope they have the required number of spaces and haven't just removed it because it wasn't used. The officer may not have noticed it was recently removed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">