• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

got a good one

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

neverending

Husband's ex-wife married a man who makes three times what my husband and I make together (she doesn't work). She moved two children to Florida several years ago. She has asked for more support without court order and we agreed. If we do go to court, will the courts look at both situations. My husband has to do side jobs to find money for air fare to see his own kids. We barely make ends meet and her situation is quite the opposite.

LegalBeagle

Her new husbands income will not come into it UNLESS she is silly enough to try and get an increase due to any new children she has.

Also, if she moved away, then it was up to your husband to make her pay for his travel expenses to see the children.

When calculating CS, the will generally only look at the two parents.. so in this case, your husband comes out worse as she has a great deal more money via her new husband. She can only be doing this because she is mean, or her new husband refuses to give her any money.

------------------
Psst... I do not work for Macdonald’s or Burger King, and even if I did, I would not tell you. For sloppy bread, tired tomatoes, frozen onions, watered down mayonnaise and imitation meat, please find a drive through window with a person who openly admits they make that stuff.

My advice above is equal to the advice they would give if you asked that person a legal question.

N

neverending

If we were to go to court, would it be fair to ask her to pay for 100% of travel expenses at least twice a year? My husband and I don't mind increasing support, but that would not leave any money for air fare.
Court order is old and very generic. Legally she doesn't even have to take the kids to the airport. If she was not married to her new husband, she would definitely have to get a job to help support the children, so I don't understand why his income wouldn't come into the picture. Frustrated--

T

Tigres

His income is unlikely too, but Florida imputes an income for unemployed (or underemployed) parents who are voluntarily not working at the level they could be. Don't think for a second that because she's not working that her possible income should not be taken into consideration!

Tig

------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
I am not a lawyer. Any information relayed is merely my own experience or research.

"PRINCESS, HAVING HAD SUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE WITH PRINCES, SEEKS FROG."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by neverending:
If we were to go to court, would it be fair to ask her to pay for 100% of travel expenses at least twice a year? My husband and I don't mind increasing support, but that would not leave any money for air fare.
Court order is old and very generic. Legally she doesn't even have to take the kids to the airport. If she was not married to her new husband, she would definitely have to get a job to help support the children, so I don't understand why his income wouldn't come into the picture. Frustrated--
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

His income is not used because he has no legal obligation to the child. As for travel expenses, I get the impression she moved a while back.. that was the time to try and get travel expenses.. you could try, but unlikely because of the amount of time that has past.

------------------
Psst... I do not work for Macdonald’s or Burger King, and even if I did, I would not tell you. For sloppy bread, tired tomatoes, frozen onions, watered down mayonnaise and imitation meat, please find a drive through window with a person who openly admits they make that stuff.

My advice above is equal to the advice they would give if you asked that person a legal question.

N

neverending

Yes, she moved several years ago, but just recently she asked for more support. That is when we started looking into what rights the non-custodial parent. (obviously not many)She was helping to pay for half, but said she wasn't going to pay for any more travel. Now we are stuck!!

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by neverending:
Yes, she moved several years ago, but just recently she asked for more support. That is when we started looking into what rights the non-custodial parent. (obviously not many)She was helping to pay for half, but said she wasn't going to pay for any more travel. Now we are stuck!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well kinda.. but if she has been paying then you might be able to convince a judge that this was agreed so she could move.. he might believe you and put it in the order.. can not help but try..

So she is refusing to pay and wants more money for what reason ?? is she doing this out of spite ?

N

never ending

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LegalBeagle:

Well kinda.. but if she has been paying then you might be able to convince a judge that this was agreed so she could move.. he might believe you and put it in the order.. can not help but try..

So she is refusing to pay and wants more money for what reason ?? is she doing this out of spite ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically, it is out of greed. She divorced my husband because he didn't make enough to support her. She was working when they were married. She found a sugardaddy who paid off her divorce debts, paid for her living expenses, car, etc. They married, moved to FL where she can stay at home and sit by the pool. She even put her toddler (with current husband) in day care. (Rough Life)

She says that the cost of raising the two children has increased and that is why she wants more money.

There is something very wrong with this picture..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">