• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Not Eligible for Rehire"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kknightphx

I live in Arizona. After nearly 4 years of employment with the same company, I decided to go out on my own and try and do contract work. I offered my resignation with 2-weeks notice, and at the same time opened a dialogue with the company president to continue my services, only under contract rather than as an employee. He said he would be out of town for four weeks, but would give it some thought.

The day after I offered my resignation, the president left to conduct business in another state for two weeks, and then left for family vacation for another two weeks. After my last day, I received any number of calls from the brother of the president asking for information and assistance in completing projects similar to what I had done for them while employed. It finally got to the point that I had to ask for either a contract to do the work, or that contact with me be terminated.

Now, I have decided to go back to work full-time, and have found that when potential employers call this company and ask about my rehire-ability, they are being told "NO" by the VP, one with whom I had many disagreements during the course of employment (although she frequently solicited my assistance in doing her job). I got along just fine with my direct report, the president.

What recourse, if any, do I have to prevent a negative review like this from becoming a grounds for not getting hired by other companies?

kknightphx

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If all that is being said is that you are ineligible for rehire, you have no recourse whatsoever. Barring a contract that says otherwise, the company is at liberty to decide who is and is not eligible for rehire. They appear to have decided that you are not and that is what they are saying.

If there is more to this than you are saying in your post, please provide additional information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">