• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loan company used my name without permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dennyva

What is the name of your state? Virginia

The situation is this.
My aunt had previously purchased a car from a dealership which writes their own loans.
Her name is the only name that was used on the loan contract.
A few months later, she wanted another car so I co-signed for this other vehicle. And only this vehicle while her first vehicle was still under financing. So it would be a total of 2 cars under her name and one with me as a co-signer.
Then, I receive a call today from the dealership's financial office telling me that my name was put on the loan contract for both cars.
I was not even present when my aunt bought the first car.
I called the corporate office for this dealership and they said due to old computer systems, my name got mixed up and put on the contracts for both cars. Keeping in mind that the first car was purchased 5 months after I co-signed for the 2nd car.
So basically, my name was used without my permission on a loan contract signed months before I even knew. That I found out today. Also, the payments for the car that WAS NOT supposed to be under my name were late and they are telling me my credit is going to be affected by this.
What can I do?

You Are Guilty

dennyva said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

The situation is this.
My aunt had previously purchased a car from a dealership which writes their own loans.
Her name is the only name that was used on the loan contract.
A few months later, she wanted another car so I co-signed for this other vehicle. And only this vehicle while her first vehicle was still under financing. So it would be a total of 2 cars under her name and one with me as a co-signer.
Then, I receive a call today from the dealership's financial office telling me that my name was put on the loan contract for both cars.
I was not even present when my aunt bought the first car.
I called the corporate office for this dealership and they said due to old computer systems, my name got mixed up and put on the contracts for both cars. Keeping in mind that the first car was purchased 5 months after I co-signed for the 2nd car.
So basically, my name was used without my permission on a loan contract signed months before I even knew. That I found out today. Also, the payments for the car that WAS NOT supposed to be under my name were late and they are telling me my credit is going to be affected by this.
What can I do?
So they admitted they made a mistake, but just decided to leave it be? Send them a certified, RRR letter outlining your case (like you did here, but put it in a business-letter format). Make sure you're clear that your name was never on the 1st car loan and should not be there now and if it is, it is to be corrected immediately.

If they report the first loan on your credit history, you'll have more paperwork to write, but it may be premature if you can get the dealer to fix the error quickly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">