• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Libel - Juvenile Sex Offender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lambcop

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

If you are a convicted juvenile sex offender, and your court records are sealed, does that mean no one can tell anyone else about what you did? In other words, can someone who knows, for a fact, about this be sued for talking about it? Or does the fact that the court records are sealed mean that "technically" it never happened so anyone who talks about it is guilty of libel?

thank you

rmet4nzkx

You have two posts please delete the other one.

Your court record is sealed. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that there is no record of it, or that people who have first hand knowledge of it etc. suddenly don't know about it or are restrained from talking about it. Most people don't even have reason to know you had your record sealed and why would you tell them? If it is a fact it is not slander or libel. When you make an application for employment etc when they ask you if you were arrested or convicted, you only need to supply the ones not sealed. They may run a background check and find them and also available to law enforcement.

lambcop

Sealed records and libel

Thank you for answering my question.

Sorry about the double posts (just saw the "libel" thread as I scrolled down, too...)

Oh it's not me...sometimes I forget how to write well when I'm tired.

This is a great site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">