• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my fence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sophie7

What is the name of your state? New York
I purchased my house a little over 3 years ago. At that time I was concerned about the property lines and 6 months later had it surveyed and staked (which they removed). There is a fence on my property that extends onto their property. Does that make it theirs? I asked them to move it at that time with no response. Now I have sent them a written request to which they had a lawyer respond to saying it was theirs and if I touch it is trespassing. The current fence has been there for less than 7 years, though they claim the previous fence was in the same location for over 40 years. The title says it’s my land and they have never paid taxes on this land. These neighbors also built their house on my property which we signed an easement agreement for at the time we purchased the house. I have been reading other posts but don’t know if it varies from state to state. Also there is a zoning board for the town which I live in. If they approve my proposal for moving the fence to allow a place for my new shed is that a legal ruling that my neighbor is required to follow?

Last edited:

FarmerJ

you need to speak with a real estate atty after you dig up your copy of the curernt survey . Try the links up top to find a local real estate atty .

HomeGuru

sophie7 said:
What is the name of your state? New York
I purchased my house a little over 3 years ago. At that time I was concerned about the property lines and 6 months later had it surveyed and staked (which they removed). There is a fence on my property that extends onto their property. Does that make it theirs? I asked them to move it at that time with no response. Now I have sent them a written request to which they had a lawyer respond to saying it was theirs and if I touch it is trespassing. The current fence has been there for less than 7 years, though they claim the previous fence was in the same location for over 40 years. The title says it’s my land and they have never paid taxes on this land. These neighbors also built their house on my property which we signed an easement agreement for at the time we purchased the house. I have been reading other posts but don’t know if it varies from state to state. Also there is a zoning board for the town which I live in. If they approve my proposal for moving the fence to allow a place for my new shed is that a legal ruling that my neighbor is required to follow?
**A: you need to consult with an attorney and read up on your zoning ordinance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">