• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

restraining oder question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jhow1

I live in GA i am 18 years old and recently (June 5th) i had a restraining order placed against me by my 17 year old girlfriends mother. I was also charged with stalking which i need to go to court for.. i know what i did was not wrong but it is impossible to fight the system on this one.. my girlfriend or ex girlfriend now will be 18 very soon (Sep 8th) and i am wondering if she can go and annul or terminate the restraining order that was placed by i believe her grandmother with whom she lives... she has since emailed me saying that her (grand)mom did not in fact place a restraining order that the government did it but im not sure if that is possible... i would like to know if i can get in trouble if she contacts me via email or text message or phone and i dont respond... and what if we should bumb into each other in a public place and it is not intentional... basically what can i do if she does not want the restraining order and is not old enough to go do things because she is not 18 and will she be able to go and fix this when she is 18?

Shay-Pari'e

jhow1 said:
I live in GA i am 18 years old and recently (June 5th) i had a restraining order placed against me by my 17 year old girlfriends mother. I was also charged with stalking which i need to go to court for.. i know what i did was not wrong but it is impossible to fight the system on this one.. my girlfriend or ex girlfriend now will be 18 very soon (Sep 8th) and i am wondering if she can go and annul or terminate the restraining order that was placed by i believe her grandmother with whom she lives... she has since emailed me saying that her (grand)mom did not in fact place a restraining order that the government did it but im not sure if that is possible... i would like to know if i can get in trouble if she contacts me via email or text message or phone and i dont respond... and what if we should bumb into each other in a public place and it is not intentional... basically what can i do if she does not want the restraining order and is not old enough to go do things because she is not 18 and will she be able to go and fix this when she is 18?
Just so you understand clearly, The mother, grandmother, or whoever filed for the RO is not the judge who ordered it. You are going to court for stalking at this point. When you get there, show them the EMAILS addressed to you, if in fact the order is protecting the 17 yr old.

Judges do not take kindly to this kind of crappola, and if she is a minor, the order stands.

ptlmejo

When she turns 18, she would have the authority to have the court dismiss the restraining order...that isn't to say though that if she still lives with the same folks that got it for her in the first place, they wouldn't just re-file for one keeping you from their premesis.

J

jhow1

i have no intention of being anywhere near the premises from this point... the stalking thing was nonsense really because we broke up so i went to give her some of her stuff back and bam im sittin in jail woo hoo... i know judges dont give any second thought about a case when they hear the word stalking so i know im screwed on that point but as long as she can expunge the RO when she is 18 im sure everything will be alright... one note tho.. how do they know if a RO is being violated... we do live in a similar area and in the past 2 months have absolutely unintentionally bumped into each other.. how can i avoid getting in worse trouble for aggravated stalking if all meetings are accidental and i dont respond to her emails or text messages?

ptlmejo

Restraining Orders are enforced when the petitioner reports the alleged no-contact violation to the police. Police *GENERALLY* won't enforce a RO if the petitioner doesn't request it enforced, *HOWEVER*, since she's a minor, they may call up mom/dad and ask them if they want it enforced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">