• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of a photo by a picture frame company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

inexorable

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Good morning,

I am trying to research the legal aspects of this case.
A friend of mine returned from an overseas deployment with a shocking item: of the many picture frames availible for purchase at the military PX, each of them carried a photo of my wife's graduation photo from boot camp.
This is a private company, based out of Illinois.
My wife did not sign any consent-to-use documents while in boot camp.
In the five years she was on active duty, there was never any contact, nor request for, said use of photo.
In the two years she has since left, this is the first we've learned of this company marketing their item under the caption "The Graduate"
If the military used her photo, I imagine that would be one thing. This involves nothing of the sort, it is not attached to recruiting efforts, nor is it even made by the military.
After contacting several PX's around the country, it has been found to be sold at every one contacted so far, with her picture on every one of them.

What type of attorney would handle this case? Is there a case, given the facts I've presented?

J

J. Michael

The only aspect of this that involves copyright is: Who took the picture? They would own the copyright. Materials published by the federal government are usually public domain. This really involves publicity/privacy rights which vary by state. You really need to contact a lawyer rather than ask on a forum like this.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">