• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In Need of Child Support Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bela Mia

I am a single mom from Ny who just wants a simple answer. I had taken my ex husband to court for support in july 2000, he did not show but an order for support was sent to his residence. I have not heard anything since and no child support either. What is the next step? I am so confused.... It has been 3 months....

------------------
Bela Mia

Jenifa

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bela Mia:
I am a single mom from Ny who just wants a simple answer. I had taken my ex husband to court for support in july 2000, he did not show but an order for support was sent to his residence. I have not heard anything since and no child support either. What is the next step? I am so confused.... It has been 3 months....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You should have gotten the phone number & address of the support collection unit. They are who you are supposed to call if there is any problem. I am not sure if every county is the same, but you definitely should give a call to your county's SCU, to see what the status is. If you haven't received a check in 3 months, I'd say that's enough time for them to start enforcing it.

http://www.dfa.state.ny.us/csms/Directry.htm

This is a link to the Dept of Family Assistance's directory of support collection units for each county, just in case you don't have that information. I hope this helps.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dear Jenifa:

Oh my God. Apparently you're not used to dealing with people from New York.

Despite the fact that this same information is right there in her own telephone book, when a New Yorker says they "just want a simple answer" they freakin' mean it! You don't screw with a New Yorker, and you say as little as possible. And, never, ever, never say to a New Yorker, "You should . . ." to anything, especially if they're from Bensonhurst!!

Your second paragraph was plenty, believe me.

I'm really very surprised this person didn't come back and bite your head off for saying too much!!

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited September 28, 2000).]

Jenifa

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
Dear Jenifa:

Oh my God. Apparently you're not used to dealing with people from New York.

Despite the fact that this same information is right there in her own telephone book, when a New Yorker says they "just want a simple answer" they freakin' mean it! You don't screw with a New Yorker, and you say as little as possible. And, never, ever, never say to a New Yorker, "You should . . ." to anything, especially if they're from Bensonhurst!!

Your second paragraph was plenty, believe me.

I'm really very surprised this person didn't come back and bite your head off for saying too much!!

IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dear IAAL,

I was laughing for a few minutes. :) Don't worry though, I'm originally from the Bronx, and can handle someone trying to bite off my fair head, if need be; at least I think I can. Thanks again. :)

Jenifa

P.S. Should I just edit the first response and type "look in the phone book for your SCU" ? I'm ascared now &lt;shaking in my shoes&gt; Just kidding.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jenifa:
Dear IAAL,

I was laughing for a few minutes. :) Don't worry though, I'm originally from the Bronx, and can handle someone trying to bite off my fair head, if need be; at least I think I can. Thanks again. :)

Jenifa

P.S. Should I just edit the first response and type "look in the phone book for your SCU" ? I'm ascared now <shaking in my shoes> Just kidding.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Glad you got the chuckle!

How you's doin'? It's very nice to see you around here again. So, what's going on in your life, that good ol' IAAL should know about? Even the stuff, ahem, I shouldn't know about.

You're a nice addition to the "family".

Yours,
IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

A

Ashlee1443

North Carolina

Just to let you know,I filed for child support through my local Child Support Enforcement Agency when my son was only 11 days old. There are many processes that you have to go through before actually getting the support. For instance,I only knew his parents address,not his,so they had to track him through previous work history,old addresses,etc. Once they found his address,he kept rescheduling his appointments,and he didn't even show up for one of them. Finally,I got my first check when my son was 4 months old. I'd just keep calling and checking the status of your case. Hang in there!

Jenifa

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:

My response:

Glad you got the chuckle!

How you's doin'? It's very nice to see you around here again. So, what's going on in your life, that good ol' IAAL should know about? Even the stuff, ahem, I shouldn't know about.

You're a nice addition to the "family".

Yours,
IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IAAL:

I'm doing well, thanx. :) Just bringing up the tail end of a pregnancy, and I'm physically uncomfortable.

Thank you also for the statement that I am part of the "family" here. :) That felt really good. :) I've still been around here, reading, but not saying much of anything, mainly because I don't know much about law information and don't want to be caught giving my opinion of what I think the laws are or what they should be. I like that you have been posting, every so often, the details of "no private agreements". It should save some time answering questions about that, being that there are many, many people who are misinformed about that - I was one of those people before I read that. :)

Things IAAL shouldn't know about?
Hmmmmmm....
would it be smart to post here, the things you shouldn't know about that I've been up to? LOL Not that it's much, being I'm this big 'ol prego woman. :) I must run (or waddle?). I've got a whole mess of errands to run today. :) Have a good one, and thanx again for last night's chuckles. :)

Jenifa

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jenifa:
IAAL:

I'm doing well, thanx. :) Just bringing up the tail end of a pregnancy, and I'm physically uncomfortable.

Thank you also for the statement that I am part of the "family" here. :) That felt really good. :) I've still been around here, reading, but not saying much of anything, mainly because I don't know much about law information and don't want to be caught giving my opinion of what I think the laws are or what they should be. I like that you have been posting, every so often, the details of "no private agreements". It should save some time answering questions about that, being that there are many, many people who are misinformed about that - I was one of those people before I read that. :)

Things IAAL shouldn't know about?
Hmmmmmm....
would it be smart to post here, the things you shouldn't know about that I've been up to? LOL Not that it's much, being I'm this big 'ol prego woman. :) I must run (or waddle?). I've got a whole mess of errands to run today. :) Have a good one, and thanx again for last night's chuckles. :)

Jenifa

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

That's super! When is the little bambina expected?

You know, after you say it about one hundred times, it's not that bad . . . I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is a pretty good, and strong, masculine, name!! I'd be happy to be the child's Godfather, too!

IAAL

------------------

Jenifa

My response:

That's super! When is the little bambina expected?

You know, after you say it about one hundred times, it's not that bad . . . I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is a pretty good, and strong, masculine, name!! I'd be happy to be the child's Godfather, too!

IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IAAL,

The baby will be delivered November l7 by C-section, unless I go into labor before then. One of the name options out is Isabella - not exactly a masculine name, as you'd like, but it does contain every letter of your initials "IAAL". Is that close enough for ya? Ha ha... Thanx for the offer of Godfather. I'll consider it. ;) Happy informing tonight. I'll be reading...

Jenifa

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

IAAL,

The baby will be delivered November l7 by C-section, unless I go into labor before then. One of the name options out is Isabella - not exactly a masculine name, as you'd like, but it does contain every letter of your initials "IAAL". Is that close enough for ya? Ha ha... Thanx for the offer of Godfather. I'll consider it. ;) Happy informing tonight. I'll be reading...

Jenifa
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

That's terrific. I'll mark my calendar for the blessed event!

Hey, initials are just as good. I always say, "If you can't have the whole popsicle, take what you can get". Do I really say that?

Well, you keep readin' and I'll keep posting. Anytime you want to pop in and say something, you go right ahead. Your opinions are valuable too!

All my best to you and the bambina.

IAAL

------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">