• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental Malpracitce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

undefined
FLORIDA
:( From 1995-1999 I had all my teeth crowned and mostly root canalled at a dental clinic owned by a giant HMO. At the time all swore with proper care the crowns would last a lifetime. Last year one of the front crowns broke off then the rear bridge behind it collapsed. My new dentist did a 2nd complete oral evaluation of my mouth on 7/28 and the upper teeth are in horrid shape. One of the crown teeth has abcessed and there is no hope of saving it and it needs to be pulled. Leaving me unable to chew. And of course the top broken crowns need to be pulled. The bottom teeth are fine for now but they are older than the top crowns. None of teeth have gold posts nor do they have reinforcement posts. I consulted with a nationally reknowned dental malpractice attorney and he said the potential for damages was too small for him to come to Florida to represent me. I consulted a few local attorneys and got a similar response. Only thing I can think to to do is to take the HMO to small claims court where the maximum I could get is $5000 which is not going to be enough to fix my teeth. I have seen the NOLO series book on representing yourself in small claims court called " Represent Yourself in Court: How to Prepare and Try a Winning Case " Is it worthwhile?. Any comments anyone can make on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

C

Consentlaw

did we brush our teeth?
See the problem with your case is that several things could have voided the life time warranty. "Consequently there is no warranty on medical procedure including dental". An affirmative defense is that you drank too much coke and ate too much candy. Consequently Small Claims court would not have jurisdiction over this matter anyway. Word of advice slow down on the candy buddy.

Well

As Jack Benny used to say.............WELL ! :mad:

Here are some facts for your enlightenment. Since spending the equivilent of a sticker price of a new ACURA fixing my teeth have been religous about caring for them. Brushing, cleanings, you name it, I did it. I do not chew ice, eat candy, my diet is 99% sugar free. I strongly suspect my teeth were a lost cause in 1995 and they crowned and capped in order to pocket the insurance money.

lmg60

FLOSSING -- dental advice

a key factor in the dental world is
FLOSS THE TEETH YOU WANT TO KEEP. and
nothing is forever except death. Crowns have a reasonable lifetime expectancy of 7 - 10 years and beyond for people that take proper care around all margins. footnote -> many Insurances will cover a new crown after 5 short years.. if insurance will cover them again.... do you honestly think they were for a lifetime??? not a chance. :D

You Don't Know What You Are Talking About

:mad: Firstly, with the exception of my front upper teeth my crowns are all part of bridges making them impossible to floss. I showed my original 1995 X-RAYS to 5 Dentists since last year, :mad: :mad: all said my teeth were too far gone to be saved then and the clinic should have said so and fitted me with dentures or partial dentures. Instead they robbed my blind and now after only a few years I am going to loose them all anyway. When I began treatment I PLEADED for some other cost effective method, each and every dentist at the clinic gave the same old line, SOME TIMES YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT IS MEDICALY NECESARRY, BLAH BLAH. My last lawyer who told me the statue of limitations had lapsed told me he sees cases like mine in Florida all the time, these HMO owned clincs root canal and crown lost cause teeth knowing it will be years before the damage is discovered and they get away with it because by this time the Statue of Limitations (4 Years) has lapsed. One final note. I did not spend what amounted to a the sticker price of a New HONDA ACCORD and then let the teeth go to hell, I followed all instructions given to me and then some. But like I said earlier, the 5 dentists I showed my original 1995 XRAYS all said they were a lost cause at the time, the clinic flat out lied to be, root canaled and crowned them away to :mad: :mad: :mad: pocket the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">