• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Compete Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

colgjs

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Live in DC, work in VA, company in question is incorporated in Maryland but operates mostly in VA.

I have been employed (exempt) by a small government sub-contractor for about a year now and have given notice because I want to become an independant consultant again. This company (Company A) contracted my services to another contractor (Company B), who then contracted me to the government. I vaguely remeber signing a non-compete with company A when I was hired on.

When news got out, the government essentially suggested that I contract directly with company B, so as not to lose my services. I spoke with company B, and they seemed willing to contract me. When they in turn contacted company A, company A threatened to enforce the non-compete, or some other clause which I may be unaware of in their respective contract. Company A would not suffer any loss of business, and in fact would benefit from my continuing on, but they seem to be taking a hard line (perhaps for fear of setting a precedent).

My questions are:

what is my potential liability if I do contract with Company B?
what is company B's liability?
what is my potential liability if I contract directly with the government (does the non-compete apply only to the prime contractor)?
what is my potential liability if I contract with another prime contractor at the same gov't client, but with whom company A has no existing contract?

Thanks in advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Without having read the non-compete agreement or any other applicable documents, no one here can answer your questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">