• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dont exactly know how to title this one

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xmidnightpyrox

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have a question.. I recently worked for a pretty big retail store a few months ago.. I liked the job very much and had good attendance and always did my jobs that were assigned to me. Well, i started having some family problems and was kicked out of my house(i'm 23, and was living with my mother.) I was having alot of problems, and really stressed out about the whole thing and having nowhere to live, So i left my employer.. But this employer has like a 3 day thing, where if you come back within 3 days they will most likely give you your job back. So i went back around the 3rd day because i had found a place to stay and talked to them about it but they didnt seem to interested in what they said before about their whole "3 day" thing and said that i was too late. So i waited for 3 months, which is their date for becoming re-eligable for employment. Went back in and talked to an assistant manager(they have like 10 or more assistant managers) and explained to her what the situation was and why i left, she said that i was completely re-eligable for employment and that all i had to do was fill out an application and i would have a good chance seeing as how i worked there previously. So i did that, and my one friends daughter, pulled my application to have me come in for an interview and hire me, but the assistant manager that told me that i was re-eligable got my application and threw it away and said that she would never re-hire me. I havent done anything to this person, so i dont know why she would be doing that when she said herself that i was re-eligable. Anyway, finally one assistant manager did call me and gave me an interview, but said i wasnt "qualified" enough for the job, i dont get how i can not be qualified when i have done the job before, and worked there previously. He said he had already hired 2 people, But when i talked to a few other people i found out that he didnt hire anyone for the 2 positions that were open. Also, i talked to the store manager, who previously had hired many people himself, But when i asked he said that he had nothing to do with that process and that i would need to wait for an assistant manager to pull my application. I've been getting the run around for months now, none of them will give me a straight answer..I've caught them in quite a few lies. I also believe they might be doing this because of my sexuality, Which isnt right to do. This retail chain already has lawsuits in progress, and this local store has a discrimination lawsuit going against it too.
So is there anything that i can really do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While I agree that it's not right, neither Federal nor Pennsylvania law prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. So even if you are 100% correct as to the reason, that is not illegal.

The law does not require that they re-hire former employees. As long as they do not violate the law, they are at liberty to decide whether to re-hire someone or not. Even if they tell you that you are eligible for re-employment, that does not obligate them to re-hire you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">