• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to write to tell them they have stolen your work...and stop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GloryK

I live in London Ontario Canada
Hi, my problem is that a church has outright stolen my website. :mad:
I found that this church of old ladies have stolen all of my work,...work that took me a year to produce. I have verbally told them that I do not give them permission to use any of my work, that I have the copyright which I bought from the Canadian Intellectual Properties Office. However they said to me that their ISP told them that they are allowed to put whatever they wanted on "their" site. So they stole all my coding....specialized coding,...and just took my name, company name and my copyright off the 7 webpages. I was so shocked. :eek: But these idiots think they are not doing anything wrong. I can't seemed to get them to understand. They think cause they own the webspace they can do whatever they want and even destroy my work. I want to send a firm letter with all the proper legal terms and wording, to tell them to take down my work or I will sue them. However, I am not sure what the legal wording or terms are, and/or how to write them in a concise and concrete manner. :eek: Could you please help me with this letter ...which I must write soon...very soon. I want to tell them any I have the copyright; that I want it taken down; that they are committing a criminal act;etc. Please help!? Glory Kanata, WebMarks Designs, Canada :(

L

luv2bmean

Maybe you should read the copyright laws a little more careful about how it pertains to doing stuff for employers, or for working for someone for payment or gifts in kind :mad: ? hmm dont you think others you have contacted might be :mad: ??????

Who owns the copyright?
Generally, the owner of the copyright is:

-the creator of the work;
-the employer, if the work was created in the course of employment unless there is an agreement to the contrary;
-the person who commissions a photograph, portrait, engraving or print for valuable consideration (which has been paid) unless there is an agreement to the contrary; or
-some other party, if the original owner has transferred his or her rights

J

jamiemorrow

Glory

If you email the web host of their website and provide evidence of the thief they will usually suspend the account of the offender. To the offender simply send a short email that you have documented the thief of your website, provide a little detail of what they stole and that your work is copy write protected and that if they do not immediately remove the stolen items you will take legal actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">