• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need some advice please because this dont sound right to me at all

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pillpopper

What is the name of your state? Mo.

hi, first time poster. but, been reading this forum for a few days ever since i found it while doing a google search.

heres my question:

i recently had back surgery for 2 buldging disks and a ruputured disk and also on the MRI it showed that i had spinal stinoses (sp?) along with a couple of bone spurs as well.

well, i had surgery on my back and after the operation my left leg was hurting extremely bad to the point it was super sensitive where if the wind blew on me it hurt extremely bad. when i told the doctor about this he told me that it was lack a mobility and it should get better over time. well, i waited a few more days after going thru some theropy and a few days have past and it still hurt extremely bad. so, i asked him again what the problem was because this is not going away. and he tells me that that it was inflamation causing it from the surgery. well, i was under alot of medications and really didn't think about what he told me the first time in regaurds to the lack of mobility. well, 3 weeks later and many of drugs he refered me to a nerve doctor and she diagnosed me with having something called "RSDS" and she tells me that it could be a number of things. but never said it was the doctor fault and she refered me to this pain management group.

well, after basicly feel like i was getting some B.S. type answers i started reading up on this "RSDS" problem i seem to have and i see that it is some perty serious stuff and to frankly it scares the hell out of me. so, i started reading even more about it and read it could be caused by complacations of a surgery. my main concern is getting back to where i was before this problem with my back so i can walk without a cane and or walker.

i also want to mention that i was treated like a dog in the hospital to the point where one doctor came into exam me and started calling me names right to my face infront of 2 nurses (real classy uh) i did make a report to the administrator of the hospital and the 2 nurses denied this doctor ever saying that to me but the next day they were both off my room assignment.

my question to everyone is what do you think i should do because i really am in pain and oblivious to this kind of stuff.

ellencee

pillpopper
A medical malpractice claim must meet certain criteria; here are the basics:
duty,
breach of duty,
act(s) of negligence with foreseeable damages if the act of negligence occurs,
significant damages that would not otherwise have occurred.

It is unlikely that your development of RSDS meets the basic criteria.

It is important that you follow your physicians treatment plan for management of RSDS. In the early stages, there is some success of cure or stopping the progression of the condition. Do what you can to keep this condition from progressing.

Certain personality traits are thought to contribute to the development and course of RSDS. If you tend to focus on the negative aspects of life, are easily depressed, and/or are generally a grumpy person, now is the time change the manner in which you deal with life. Improving your overall mental/emotional health has a positive influence on the sympathetic nervous system (the first S in RSDS).

Best wishes,
EC

pillpopper

ellencee, i understand that part of it. but, heres why i mainly was posting here in the first place but forgot to mention in my earlier post:

before i went into surgery my leg was fine and after i came out of surgery all this stuff happen to me with my leg.

my leg was fine before hand and now i have a problem with it. does, that sound right to you because it don't to me really and thats why i was asking for advice.

ellencee

pillpopper
The development of RSDS is probably a result of your having surgery but not a result of an act of negligence. There is no proven method of preventing it or of identifying who will develop RSDS and/or why. Surgery is the most frequent cause of someone's developing RSDS (with carpal tunnel surgery's being #1).

Negligence involving RSDS is usually associated with a patient who presents to an ER physician with complaints of severe burning pain in an arm or leg, with or without skin temperature changes (cooler) and, or sensory deficits. If the ER physician fails to recognize the potential for RSDS and make the appropriate referral for pain management and evaluation, the condition of the affected arm or leg can be permanently and significantly damaged.

It is important that you manage your pain to prevent the sympathetic nervous system from responding to the pain by constricting circulatory vessels in the leg/foot. It is important that you follow your physical exercise plan without fail so that your leg continues to receive adequate circulation inspite of the sympathetic nerve malfunction.

pillpopper

if you were in my shoes ellencee how would you handle this problem because right now i am just still in "awe" over this whole thing.

ellencee

pillpopper
I would seek information on successful treatment, who provides it, and what it would take for me to be a part of it.

I believe in alternative treatment options. It seems that biofeedback would be a good treatment option for this condition. We all use it, maybe without realizing what we are doing. Biofeedback is the way we calm ourselves when we are frightened or need to gather our wits. We achieve this by initiating and obtaining control over our sympathetic nervous system. In earlier times, ladies were masters of using biofeedback to achieve timely swooning and blushing!

If you can gain control of the sympathetic nervous system area that is causing the burning pain and get it to stop, it seems to me that you would be able to prevent some or all of the problems associated with this condition.

There are medications that supposedly help, but meds have their own sets of problems and longterm ill effects.

I'll do some research and see if I can find anything to help you and will send the info to you via the private messaging on this forum or via your email if you have opted to allow receipt of emails. Hopefully, some other posters will help with researching your options and will forward their findings to you, too.

EC

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">