• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$1228 for an engine we never got

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

darrell.misty

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

My husband and I bid on an engine off Ebay. We sent out two money orders. (We had to split the amount b/c our bank said they couldn't do money orders over $1000) We sent the money orders 2 day priority. The seller kept in contact with us via e-mail up until we sent the money. The money orders were dropped off on their porch Monday July 26th and cashed Wednesday July 28th. Still no word from the seller and we'v reported it with Ebay. Would the local authorities even bother with this type of situation?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

darrell.misty said:
What is the name of your state? Nebraska

My husband and I bid on an engine off Ebay. We sent out two money orders. (We had to split the amount b/c our bank said they couldn't do money orders over $1000) We sent the money orders 2 day priority. The seller kept in contact with us via e-mail up until we sent the money. The money orders were dropped off on their porch Monday July 26th and cashed Wednesday July 28th. Still no word from the seller and we'v reported it with Ebay. Would the local authorities even bother with this type of situation?

My response:

This is what happens when you buy from strangers off the Internet - - and especially when you conduct business across State lines. I'll bet you'll be smart enough to buy locally next time - and never do business on the Internet ever again.

Did you learn a lesson?

IAAL

racer72

Having bought engines from other states (former race car driver, hence my username), something that large and heavy can only be shipped by truck. Depending on how many transfers are involved, it can take up to 30 days. First, eBay won't do nothing till 30 days have passed. And there is actually very little they can do. I would wait a few weeks than come back and we can see what can be done then. It has only been a week after all.

You Are Guilty

And this is exactly why from now on, everyone is going to use US Postal money orders and not bank ones, because the USPS has its own group of investigators who get paid to chase down people who steal your money in internet transactions. Your taxes pay for it, why not take advantage?

Not to mention, USPS MOs are much cheaper than private banks'.

racer72

You Are Guilty said:
Not to mention, USPS MOs are much cheaper than private banks'.
I can get all the money orders and cashier's checks I want from my bank for free. But the protections offered by the USPS is worth the expense of buying them. Oh, and the USPS in not taxpayer supported, only regulated. They don't make enough money, they raise the postage rates.

You Are Guilty

racer72 said:
I can get all the money orders and cashier's checks I want from my bank for free. But the protections offered by the USPS is worth the expense of buying them. Oh, and the USPS in not taxpayer supported, only regulated. They don't make enough money, they raise the postage rates.
Does that include the cost of postal inspectors?

Oh and Citibank charges me soemthing like $10 per MO vs. the $0.85 for the postal ones.

D

darrell.misty

Yes we have reported it to ebay, but from what i'v read the max refund they will send us is $175. $200 with a $25 processing fee. We got the person's account #, got a copy of the cashed money orders. We'll probably call the cops in Plano and see if there is anything they can do. We have the person's phone # but, big surprise, they won't answer. Even when we block our #.We could always drive down and knock on their door. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">