• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Runaway Friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xploited

What is the name of your state? Marylandundefined
My friend is 17 years old and will be turning 18 in six months and I'm trying to find info. for her. She has decided she is going to runaway half way across the country because she hates being at her house and nobody can stop her. Now I know for a fact that the second she is missing her parents will call the police. Can somebody tell me exactly what the police will do when she is reported as a runaway. Also what is the likelyhood that she will be found, and if she is what will happen to her? And last but not least if she does make it until she is 18 will there be any consequences then? Also I have to mention before she has had some depression issues. Will this affect anything if she is caught? Thanks a lot!

rmet4nzkx

There is more to this story than what you are telling us.
Is she abused or suicidal?
Does she have a trusted adult to talk to? If we know more there may be some place to help.
At age 18 she is an adult.
Here is the statute:
Maryland State Code
Article - Rules of Interpretation

(a) Except as otherwise specifically provided by statute, a person eighteen years of age or more is an adult for all purposes whatsoever and has the same legal capacity, rights, powers, privileges, duties, liabilities, and responsibilities as prior to July 1, 1973, persons had at twenty-one years of age, and the "age of majority" is hereby declared to be eighteen years.

(b)

(1) The terms "adult", "of full age", or "of legal age" refer to persons who have attained the age of eighteen years.

(2) The term "minor", as it pertains to legal age and capacity, refers to persons who have not attained the age of eighteen years.

§ 24

thelizzy

If you're a real friend, you wouldn't consider aiding and abetting her in this little scheme.

Encourage her to get counseling and/or medication for her depression, and counseling to resolve whatever issues she has with her parents.

If she is being abused, encourage her to report it to proper authorities.

Running away is NOT the answer. Problems follow you wherever you go, running away will not solve anything.

Besides, if she DOES run away, what is she going to do? Live on the streets? Prostitute herself for money? I mean, c'mon!

Your friend is being stupid, and you are stupid for trying to help her with this scheme.

Grow up and be a real friend, get her some counseling, point her towards professionals who can help.

n_and

Can somebody tell me exactly what the police will do when she is reported as a runaway.
She'll either be listed as a runaway or a wayward teen.

Also what is the likelyhood that she will be found, and if she is what will happen to her?
Honestly? Who knows? & if she is found, she'll either be held in the police station until her parents come and get her or be brought home.

And last but not least if she does make it until she is 18 will there be any consequences then?
No.

Also I have to mention before she has had some depression issues. Will this affect anything if she is caught?
Not particularly. 70% of the world is 'depressed'. So are 90% of adolescents. Does the depression stem from abuse?

Also, please read this again left by rmet:
Does she have a trusted adult to talk to? If we know more there may be some place to help.

Is it really so bad she can't wait it out 6 months? If it is, what's the problem...there is a lot of resources for the abused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">