• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urninating in public (actually kind of away and in dark)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Flowstill

What is the name of your state?California.

Well, a couple nights ago I was out with my friend on a college street going from party to party. At one point a had to urinate and I looked over and there was a very dark unpopulated area, lots of bushes and trees (four large building worth of open space). I decided hey theres absolutely no way anyone could see and I had to go pretty bad, so I went. It was actually so dark there I could hardly even see myself. Well to my surprise suddenly I flashlight was turned on and the light was shown on my genitals. I'm guessing they saw my silhouette or were just sitting there waiting but none-the-less they were the cause of me being visible. I'm wondering is there anything I can do to not be fined $100 for this. I actually feel like I was intruded upon. As a person to a person, this police officer (person) shown a light on my genitals for suspision of me urinating, even though he could not see in the first place. I find that to be downright immoral. Anyways, I just want to know if I take this to court, is there any possible way I can be relieved of this ticket?

JETX

"I just want to know if I take this to court, is there any possible way I can be relieved of this ticket?"
*** No, but you will be relieved of $100.

F

Flowstill

oh.

Could you say a bit more? Are you saying that my argument will work or that going to court makes me not have to pay $100 dollars no matter what? Also if I do go to court, how much time does it take? Is it a hastle?

CdwJava

As a person to a person, this police officer (person) shown a light on my genitals for suspision of me urinating, even though he could not see in the first place. I find that to be downright immoral.
He suspected you were commiting a criminal act and he was right. How is that "immoral"?

You do not have a right to privacy while committing a criminal act in a public place ... and in spite of your thoughts on the matter, you WERE commiting a crime in CA.

The key here is what you were charged with. If it was a local (municipal code) violation, than the fine will be all. If it was a Penal Code section there is a chance that there could be greater consequences if found guilty (some stories have people being forced to register as a sex offender ... though this is extremely rare, and I have not heard of it at all when others were not around to observe it). You might want to consult an attorney if you have been charged with something other than a municipal code violation.

Carl

You Are Guilty

Flowstill said:
Could you say a bit more? Are you saying that my argument will work or that going to court makes me not have to pay $100 dollars no matter what? Also if I do go to court, how much time does it take? Is it a hastle?
He's saying you're up piss river without a paddle. By your own admission, you are guilty of the infraction you are charged with. You might be able to negotiate the fine down in return for a guilty plea (i.e. plea bargain), but there's no requirement that the state cut you any slack.

(And if you're this upset about having a light shined on your johnson, then maybe you shouldn't have whipped it out in public.)

JETX

Since California is well known for gays and oddwads, your damn lucky that shrub didn't whisper "Pssst... Hey buddy, come here!" You must have found one that wasn't 'occupied' by the local denizens at the time!!

F

Flowstill

Well.

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just pay the $100 dollars then. I'd just like to say that when someone cannot be seen by the public unless the public happens to be using flashlights and shining them at me (Police). I don't see why that should be considered pissing in public... also, I wasn't in a very public place it was off the road behind a bush in a very dark place, the cops actually came up from the side and around and caught me. I don't know maybe I don't agree with a lot of the law, but I am a rational individual so maybe I'm right and there's nothing I can do about it.

rmet4nzkx

Maybe you should not drink so much if you can't hold it :confused:

You know why beer travels so quickly through your systems?
Because it doesn't have to stop to change colors! :D

Let me guess you were stumbling down the street with your buddies all talking in a loud voice and going on about how you had to go take a leak! No wonder you got caught!

Happy Trails

Flowstill said:
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just pay the $100 dollars then. I'd just like to say that when someone cannot be seen by the public unless the public happens to be using flashlights and shining them at me (Police). I don't see why that should be considered pissing in public... also, I wasn't in a very public place it was off the road behind a bush in a very dark place, the cops actually came up from the side and around and caught me. I don't know maybe I don't agree with a lot of the law, but I am a rational individual so maybe I'm right and there's nothing I can do about it.
**Even though they couldn't see you, doesn't mean the police officer didn't hear you going.

CdwJava

Obviously something caught the officer's attention ... the sway of your body in the night, the sound of the flow, or the sound of the zipper.

And, it IS a public place. The law does not say that the public has to witness it, only that you have to be IN public. And unless the urinal was the Azalea bushes in your own fenced-in backyard, you haven't an argument to stand on.

Carl

Beth3

If it was a Penal Code section there is a chance that there could be greater consequences if found guilty Don't you mean Penile Code? :D

rmet4nzkx

Beth3 said:
If it was a Penal Code section there is a chance that there could be greater consequences if found guilty Don't you mean Penile Code? :D
Actually there is a section of the California Penal code but it doesn't apply, if OP was a minor, but the he wouldn't have been drinking right :D :D :
311.3. (a) A person is guilty of sexual exploitation of a child if
he or she knowingly develops, duplicates, prints, or exchanges any
representation of information, data, or image, including, but not
limited to, any film, filmstrip, photograph, negative, slide,
photocopy, videotape, video laser disc, computer hardware, computer
software, computer floppy disc, data storage media, CD-ROM, or
computer-generated equipment or any other computer-generated image
that contains or incorporates in any manner, any film or filmstrip
that depicts a person under the age of 18 years engaged in an act of
sexual conduct.
(b) As used in this section, "sexual conduct" means any of the
following:
(5) Exhibition of the genitals or the pubic or rectal area of any
person for the purpose of sexual stimulation of the viewer.
(6) Defecation or urination for the purpose of sexual stimulation
of the viewer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">