• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quitting with good cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Joey1212a

What is the name of your state?New Jersey
What clasifies is quitting with good cause?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have no direct information for your state; however, in the large majority of states the only "good cause to quit" is to avoid illegal discrimination or sexual harassment. A few states include following a spouse beyond commuting distance; even fewer allow for illness in the IMMEDIATE family.

If you want to provide some information about your situation, it would be much easier to respond.

J

Joey1212a

After returning from maternity leave over a year ago I don't believe that I am given the same opportunities as the other employees (I am the only one with an infant). I make a point to leave everyday at 5:30 while the Owner & VP's, along with other staff members work long, late hours. I can't do it, I have to pick my child up at daycare. When I refer to the same opportunities, a recent example is we have a lot of new business pitches going on and different teams are put together to generate ideas, manage the accounts, etc...I have not been asked to participate on any of these teams. When I asked why the answer was because it wouldn't be fair to the other team members that are here working late and I am walking out at 5:30. Because I am not given these opportunities I am not learning, growing, expanding my knowledge of the industry . Additionally, I suffer monetarily - I am not rewarded the same as others with bonuses and raises. And I also suffer personally because it REALLY takes a toll on me mentally, my self esteem and confidence level has dramatically fallen.
Also, as an aside one of the VP's said to a former employee that anyone with children should not be working in Marketing and should do shift work at Kmart or Walmart - that's the overall mentality.
Thanks for your advice!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The chance that you would be eligible for UC benefits if you quit over this matter is approximately .0000001. I'm only providing even that much of a chance because I don't work for the NJ UC board and therefore can't speak for them.

Sorry, but you are not being subjected to illegal treatment. Parental status is not protected in your state, and even if it were, you are not being "denied opportunities" because you have a child - you are being denied them because you are not putting in the same hours as the other employees. This is perfectly legal. Your child care issues are not your employer's problem, to put it bluntly.

Beth3

Agreed. If you are unable/unwilling to work the long hours as other employees do, denying you opportunities is not illegal, even if the reason is that you need to pick up your child from daycare. This is not any form of discrimination whatsoever. Your personal responsibilities are not your employer's problem.

While an understandably unpalatable choice, if you want to get ahead where you are, you need to make additional arrangements for your child in the evenings. Or seek employment elsewhere where the expected work hours are not so onerous.

cmorris

As a parent myself, I understand where you are coming from. However, I agree with everyone else that posted. If you want to stay in this job, get accustomed to it, or find a daycare with late hours. Even in the town I live in there are many daycares that are open until 9:30 pm and some as late as 3 am. Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">