• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 days notice verbal contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tetraphid

What is the name of your state?ca

A coworker, his brother and I shared month-to-month rent on a house for over 1 year.
Last month there was an arguement and both bothers demanded I leave the house (or they'd have me evicted). Around the 1st we had discussions (individuallly) were I said in case I find a place, I may only be able to give 15 days notice, They agreed, said that would work for them.
On the 15th I gave my 15 day notice, both acknoledged they agreed.
I neglected to take my name off the lease with the landlord.
Now the roommates and landlord all are saying I am responsible for this month's rent.
Doesn't my verbal contract with the roommates keep me from owing anything?
Should I pay the landlord and sue the roomates for that amount? ...or should I pay nothing and see if they sue :eek:

thx

Last edited:

BL

If your name is on the Lease with the brothers,the landlord can pick and choose any or all of you to sue.

Can you sue the brothers , if you have to pay ? I doubt it , but small claims actions are cheap , but there is 2 plus the landlord against 1 . What if they simply deny any verbal agreement.

T

tetraphid

Last night they denied those conversations took place. :( (They're jerks)
I've dictated every conversation I've had with the roomates to my gf and parents (probably wont help as they're not direct witnesses).
If this went to court, I was also thinking of bringing up the extended-stay guest (several months), their drug use in the house, 3-4 loud parties a week, and the fact their dealer hangs out in our living room every night. The living situation there was really bad, interfered with my studies, sleep. The house was always filthy from their houseguests.
I might have a better time taking the vacation route-- I gave several witnesses to the drug use and squalor the roomates maintained?

Thx

BL

I might have a better time taking the vacation route-- I gave several witnesses to the drug use and squalor the roomates maintained? [ quote ]

Yeh , take a vacation and clear some a those drugs out of your brain .
I can't understand you giving several witnesses to the drug use .

T

tetraphid

whatever ...I meant "have..." :rolleyes:
Its a bad situation, I'll stick to the verbal contract we made, (and iteratively confirmed) they'll just have to tell their lies to a judge.

BL

Main Entry: it·er·a·tive
Pronunciation: 'i-t&-"rA-tiv, -r&-
Function: adjective
Date: 15th century
: involving repetition: as a : expressing repetition of a verbal action b : relating to or being iteration of an operation or procedure
- it·er·a·tive·ly adverb

And have and gave are difficult to decipher when you just had a rush . :D

BL

tetraphid said:
whatever ...I meant "have..." :rolleyes:
Its a bad situation, I'll stick to the verbal contract we made, (and iteratively confirmed) they'll just have to tell their lies to a judge.
And those " lies " Will be believed by the Judge because even though YOU claim Repeated Confirmation of a Verbal Contract, you really can't confirm it .

But hey, small claims filing fees are cheap, go ahead and learn something . Who knows , you might draw a sympathetic Judge that day, that's in a chipper mood , and give you some award .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">