• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor slashed our tires

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

newfamilyguy

What is the name of your state? San Francisco, California

Hello,

I recently moved into my first house and am already having neighbor problems. It started with the neighbor demanding (rather rudely) that we move our cars from the parking spaces on the street in front of his house. I treated him respectfully, but in the course of the conversation he said something like "I don't give an F###, I'll slash tires". I told him we would try to respect his wishes and a few days later he actually apologised for being so rude and came by with a housewarming gift and all was right (or so I thought).

A few nights ago a friend came over and parked in front of his house (she didn't know any better and after all, it is a legal public space) and we all went out. We returned to find her tire slashed on the sidewall. I confronted him about it and he denied everything but implied that maybe I shouldn't park there any more (w/ a smirk).

I filed a report w/ the police the next day and told them of the threat he made previously. However, without any proof, there's not much they can do. Our plan is to set up a camera pointing out our window to try and catch him in the act again. This might not be logistically feasible though and the reality is he will probably do it again and we might not catch him.

Any advice? I don't want to be bullied around by this guy, but at the same time I have to live next to him for at least a few years so I don't want to start a war.

If it happens again and we don't catch him, is there anything we can do?

If it happens again and we do catch him, was is the worse that can happen to him?

Thanks,
-Dave

JETX

If you don't 'catch him' in the act, you have no case and no claim.
If you do 'catch him', file a criminal complaint with the local police and file a civil action to recover the 'damages' caused by his conduct.

rmet4nzkx

If you can get one of those surveillence cams, be sure he can't see it, that might work except he may claim he was provoked. Parking spots are at a premium in SF is that the reason?

I once had a similar problem with a neighbor moving into an established neighborhood, the next door neighbor wasn't all there. He sic'd his dogs on me one day and one day came over while my elderly mother was at the house threatening to shoot our Irish setter, because it had a wimpy bark (when he was throwing rocks over the fence) The police said he had to actually hurt or shoot the dog! Later his wife took off becuase of domestic violence, (any wonder) and the next neighbor was just as crazy! problems with their dogs, we didn't have one and ATV's on the hills where they weren't supposed to go, pouring Round-Up over plants against the fence to kill them, letting baby rabbits out in freezing weather, I came home to find dead rabbits in my fornt yard, shooting off firecrackers, broke open my door in anger, must have been something about the house! I reported things to the police but little can be done, even when he admitted breaking open my door!

If your neighbor is mentally unstable, be careful. Perhaps some of the neighbors will have some stories. Also go to the police department and request the incident reports for your house and possibly his if they will release them, it may give you something to go on in the future if you can show a history of inappropriate behaviors. Report anythng unusual and get witnesses when possible. Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">