• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect Procedure perormed on patient

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Ontario

What is the name of your state? Ontario Canada

Interesting situation...

My grandfather went into the hospital (he is in his 70's) to have a Gall Bladder removed yesterday and a hernia operation. He was brought into the operating theatre, the doctor mentioned he didn't remember him...and this is why....

The attendent (nurse) did not corelate his bracelet with the medical chart and they got 3/4 of the way through a very painful colonosomy operation. No anesthetic was prescribed, and my grandfather had enough wits about him to realize he was in extreme pain and something was wrong. He assumed that the procedure they were doing was correct until the doctor asked him sternly why he had not prepped his bowels. He responded "Prep what, I think you have the wrong guy?"

Silence took place in the operation room when realization of what they had done (an extremely painful procedure, with no anesthetic, no prepping etc.) on the wrong patient.

He then asked to phone his daughter (you have to understand he is a meek old person, who was frightened because this was his first time in a hospital for any procedure) and the medical staff refused to let him call out, he managed to borrow a cel phone off a person in the hospital and they received a message from him in distress and pain with nurses in the background trying to take the phone away, saying everything was alright and went into full damage control in the hospital right after.

His wife (my grandmother) had to be admitted as her blood pressure reached stroke level listening to the agonizing phone call...

They went ahead an did the procedure he originally went in for, he is recovering fine - no indication if the incorrect procedure caused damage to the bowel or intestine yet. Needless to say, he and our family are quite distraught - the actions of the medical staff after were brutish to say the least and the doctor made a quip about getting 2 surgeries for the price of 1.

They have not discussed it, but I am curious about what, if any legal steps should take place now, being Canada there is no cost for the procedure (it is covered in madical system)?

rmet4nzkx

This site is for US laws only.
The proceedure is frequently done without anasthesia or done with consciouss anasthesia, it is painfull, especially if not expecting it. That would have been an interesting approach to repair a hernia and remove a gall bladder! The proceedure would be difficult to do without prep, that is why the doctor didn't get very far, it is not a surgery although it may have been done in an operating theatre. I'm glad he is recovering well, he not only got an extra proceedure but a story as well.

ellencee

The proceedure is frequently done without anasthesia
What?! a colonoscopy without anesthesia? Please post the area of the country so we can all keep our butts out of those facilities!

OUCH!

EC

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rmet4nzkx said:
Kaiser California

My response:

Boy, you got that right! Open up any legal case book, randomly, and dollars to dimes you'll open to a case that has something to do with Kaiser Permanente medical malpractice.

Anybody who trusts those numb-nuts with anything more than a hang nail (and I'm not sure I would trust them with that), would be better off performing their own surgery on themselves.

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

Ontario said:
so if this was Kentucky, would I be suing?
How can someone other than yourself answer what you would do if you were in Kentucky?

If your father wishes to pursue this in Ontario I'm sure a solicitor there would be able to counsel him on his options under Canadian law. I have friends living in Canada who have indicated that legal options re medical malpractice are somewhat different in Canada, however, one would still have to prove damages. You may want to also explore your complaint processess there as well. I wish your father a good recovery from his surgery.

ellencee

Maybe not suing--but Grandfather would stand a good chance of having no surgeon's bill or hospital bill to pay (in the US, the procedures your grandfather had would cost upwards of $3-4,000).

EC

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Ontario said:

My response:

No. Absolutely not.

If this happened in Kentucky, you'd be living in a trailer, your husband would be making "bathtub gin", you'd be eating squirrel for dinner, you'd be missing some teeth, and you'd be barefoot and pregnant - - with your 6th child and you'd still be a teenager.

So, no you can't use Kentucky to help you with your legal problem.

IAAL

Kentucky not even like that.

You must have never been to Kentucky to say that kind of stuff about the state of Kentucky, I AM ALWAYS LIABLE. You probably never been out of your state or house.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tphillips78 said:
You must have never been to Kentucky to say that kind of stuff about the state of Kentucky, I AM ALWAYS LIABLE. You probably never been out of your state or house.

My response:

In your opinion and within your knowledge of Kentucky, is there ANY truth that such people live in Kentucky?

Let me know.

IAAL

Well, I'll go ahead and answer my own question, since you won't - - of course there are! Eastern Kentucky is filled with people like the one I described! And, it's accurate! The Appalachian States (of which Kentucky is one), is accurately stereotyped and portrayed as a Hillbilly State.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">