• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gzenk

What is the name of your state? IOWA

I have been assisting my parents with the purchase of an established craft/gift/framing/etc store in a small town (7000 people). The store is well known and has been in business for 15+ years. It also has what we believe to be exclusive rights to several product lines (Yankee Candles for example).

For 2-3 weeks my mom worked with the store owner on the purchase - what is included (inventory, equipment, etc) and terms of the purchase (purchase agreement, price, payment, etc). They finally worked out all of the details that were satisfactory for both parties on a Saturday morning and agreed to sign paperwork on the following Monday at noon. On that Saturday morning, they went to the bank (both store owner and mom) where the store owner announced to bank officials that my mom was the new owner of the store. The store owner also called the insurance agency (which happens to handle my parent's insurance as well) and advised them the same and the agent stopped by the store and the store owner again advised him that my mom was the new owner. They then announced it to the store employees and arranged a work schedule for the next week as my mom still had to give 2 weeks notice at her current employment. The store owner was also announcing this to customers as they were shopping on that Saturday morning. My mom offered to give the store owner a check twice and the store owner offered my mother keys to the store - both refused and said they'd wait until the paperwork was complete on Monday. At no time during this process was it ever mentioned or alluded that there was 'bidding' taking place.

Late Sunday afternoon, my mom receives a call from the store owner stating that she was in the process of calling other parties that were interested in the store purchase and announcing to them that the store had been sold to my mom. However, when she called one interested party, they got very upset and irrate that she had sold the store to someone else. So for some reason the store owner gave them a price that was higher than the agreed price with my mom. The store owner then calls my mom and tells her that she has sold the store to someone else and did not give my mom the opportunity to reconsider her price - not that she probably would have because the price had already been agreed upon and there was no known bidding on the store price occurring.

My parents sent the store owner (and 'new' store owner) a certified letter stating that they expect her to fulfill agreed on obligations to sell the store to my mom based on the fact that the store owner had announced to several people and other businesses that my mom was the new owner.

My parents have heard nothing from the store owner since other than the receipt from the certified letter. Do they have any legal ground to stand on as far as the purchase of this store? The building is leased, so no real estate is involved.

I'm guessing that any legal action would be limited to 'damages' which probably equates to a cash value. However, they are not looking for cash - they would just like to own the store. Unfortunately, any damages would probably be hard to prove as the store's financial records do not look good, however they are vastly different from the store's cash register receipts from the last several months (which the store owner turned over to my mom to examine while deciding to purchase or not). And any damages would probably be calculated by profit from this store VS opening a new store, correct? Unfortuantely, this town probably isn't large enough to justify opening another similar store and the new store probably wouldn't be able to acquire the same popular product lines.

Does anyone have any comments on what could be done to obtain the store? Yes, the agreements were purely verbal but with the complete understanding that they would be signed the following Monday. And there were several reputable witnesses to the verbal agreements.

And now, this is a small town - news travels fast. The store owner (previous store owner) has been receiving questions about the owner being my mom. She is telling them that my mom 'did not have the money' and that my mom backed out of the sale.

Time lapse on the 'agreed purchase' is about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for your comments and time.

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)My parents sent the store owner (and 'new' store owner) a certified letter stating that they expect her to fulfill agreed on obligations to sell the store to my mom based on the fact that the store owner had announced to several people and other businesses that my mom was the new owner.(QUOTE)

And where are the closing documents pertaining to the sell of this business? You can't hardly base the sale on your above quote.

G

gzenk

Does anyone have any helpful/constructive advice? If there is nothing that we can do, then please let me know.

Sorry for wasting your time PARIDISE - I'm no legal expert, so that's why I posted in the "FreeAdvice Forums". So, you are telling me that if I was selling a car that you wanted to purchase because it was something you always wanted and we had all of the details worked out and the purchase price was agreed upon at $100. This isn't just your average car, it is special, one that everyone wants to pay you to ride in, there are no others in the area and there never will be because the manufacturer only allows 1 per region. But we can't go transfer the title because the DMV office is closed on Saturday so we have to wait until Monday. But on the next day, Sunday, I was notifying other interested buyers that I had sold the car to you and I had someone that got very upset and started swearing at me that I sold to you instead of them. So they offer $101 and I decide to take it. I then call you and notify you that I sold the car to someone else. Now, wouldn't you have some reasonable expectation that I adhere to our agreement from the previous day and follow through with the original plans to sell the vehicle to you?

Maybe I'm thinking morally and not legally here... which unfortunately don't often go together.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">