• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Considering Applying for SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ScrapperCondor

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I'm considering applying for SSDI and I have a few questions. I'm a 46 y/o man who has suffered from severe, chronic insomnia for over 16 years. I often can only sleep three or four hours a night for several nights in a row and often go weeks without getting a good night's sleep. It affects my memory so bad there have been times I couldn’t even remember my phone number. In my work, I often need to convey technical information to my co-workers and managers, which is difficult for me when I'm exhausted. Even with my sleep problem, I still get good performance reviews regarding my work (I'm a software engineer), but poor reviews regarding my communication skills. If that was the extent of it, I could handle working in the office, but I just can't handle the social problems any more. At my last job I was called a loser, there was a rumor spread that I was gay (I'm not), I was called a wimp, and pretty much everyone hated me there, which made my insomnia and self-esteem even worse. The engineers there don't get their own cubicles; they have to work two or three to a cubicle so there's no privacy.

My insomnia is a side effect of other problems I have: social anxiety disorder and body dismorphic disorder. I was in treatment for SAD and have made some improvements, but the insomnia hasn't gotten any better. The SAD is a result of being emotionally abused as a child.

I've been thinking about changing careers but I'm limited as to what I can do because of the insomnia. That's why I'm considering SSDI, just until I can get my insomnia under control, which may be a few years considering how long I've been suffering from it.

Ok, my questions:
1. Does it sound like I qualify for SSDI?
2. How long does it usually take to start receiving benefits and how much can I expect to receive? I'm 46, have been working since I was 16, and was making $75,000/year at my last job.
3. I do have some savings, about $30,000. Will that disqualify me?

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm NOT an expert on SSDI and if I'm wrong about this, someone can correct me. However, it's my understanding first, that in order to qualify for SSDI you have to be totally unable to work at any position (or at least, any position for which you are even remotely qualified or could be trained to do) and secondly, that even if you are eligible, it takes about two years between the application and the approval.

I can't answer your questions any more specifically than that. As I said, I am NOT an expert in this area and if I'm wrong, someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">