• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Clearance Advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clearance_scare

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? VA

I currently have a Secret Clearance and need to upgrade to TS.

Here's my problem: At the time I applied for my Secret Clearance (3 years ago) I had just quit drinking and occasionally smoking pot for roughly 2 years (I'm still sober and clean). I decided not to mention the drinking or pot usage because ALL of my records are clean and I knew the Secret would go through. Now I need a TS and I'm scared...

1. If I'm honest about the previous usage will I lose my Secret?
2. Will they automatically disqualify me for the TS based on this info?
3. Should I stick with the info originally on the Secret SF-86?

Thanks in advance.

S

ShortyPants1

:eek: You need a lawyer immediately. Not sure what they'd advise specifically, but you are in a tough situation. If your TS is denied you'll lose the Secret too, and most likely be fired. The TS investigation will no doubt uncover your past behavior - it's very intense and increasingly thorough.

Not sure but think you'll be advised to:
1) 'fess up when you fill out the TS application (if not before).
2) Show mitigation of the past behavior and the falsification on the SF86.

JETX

Of course, the suggestion for an attorney is ludicrous.... there is nothing in your post that would even suggest an attorney would be beneficial.

First, let me note that NO ONE can tell what someone else may or may not do. However the following is my OPINION as to what is more likely to happen:

"If I'm honest about the previous usage will I lose my Secret?"
Very likely, as 'they' would realize that you lied on your previous statements.

"Will they automatically disqualify me for the TS based on this info?
*** That information plus the lying on the previous background check would certainly not lead to them INCREASING your clearance level!!

"Should I stick with the info originally on the Secret SF-86?"
*** Of course, that is up to you.... and remember, it is possible that they might discover your deception on their own. There are lots of circumstances that could cause an employer to review background searches and investigations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">