• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bob orilee

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.

I have been working with a radiostation on air part time for 11 months. I have applied for full time and got no responce. I am under a non compete.
Can the company keep me from going full time somewhere in the city AND not let me have fulltime. They would be keeping me from Gainfull employment. Is this correct?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That depends entirely upon the EXACT wording of the agreement and the laws of your state. But to be frank with you, in my experience (and I do have experience in your state) most non-competes ARE enforceable.

You will need to show the non-compete to a lawyer in your state.

BelizeBreeze

Although CBG is right about showing the non-compete to a local attorney, most radio station (or, for that matter, entertainment business non-competes) are worthless on their face.

The biggest advantage you have is the use of any on-air personality that the station owns. If you have signed a boilerplate non-compete then it will list the 'personalities' and genre that is precluded but cannot sucessfully keep you out of radio.

Otherwise, myself and 1,000s of other disc jockeys would never be able to work.

Take cbg's advice and have a local attorney review it before doing anything.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, I will grant that I've never worked in the entertainment industry. Let me re-phrase; in my experience and in the industries I'm familiar with (which are many, but admittedly not the one in question) most non-competes are enforceable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">