• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When I was fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Olena

MA
I used to work for a small company in Massachusetts. On last day of my vacation my boss called and told temporary not to come to work for 5-10 days due to reconstruction. On my question how I will be paid for this time he told me we will work out this later. I left him 4 messages, came to work twice and after two weeks of avoiding answer he told me to go on unemployment, I will receive benefits starting from my last paycheck. In unemployment office I was told I will be eligible for the benefits starting from day I filed for unemployment. Who is supposed to pay me for two weeks I didn’t work? Am I entitled to any severance? When I started the job I didn’t sign any contract, I just have a letter where he says how much I will be paid, how many holidays, sick and vacation days I will have

Beth3

Who is supposed to pay me for two weeks I didn’t work? Nobody. What you needed to do was file for unemployment benefits the first week you were not scheduled to work. Typically, UC benefits are not paid on a retro-active basis, nor is your employer responsible for telling you to apply.

Am I entitled to any severance? No. There are no laws that require an employer to provide severance pay.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Actually, in MA the employer IS responsible for giving an employee information about how to file for UC benefits; however, if all this happened two weeks ago he is still within the legal time frame.

Beth3

And my State is the same. The employer is required to post UC information in a prominent place: when, where, and how to file...

What I meant was the employer is (literally) not required to tell the employee to file a UC claim. It's up to the employee/claimant to make that determination and file a claim.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I understand what you are saying and I agree that the employer is not required to say, "Go thou and file for unemployment". In MA, however, there is a form explaining how to file for unemployment benefits that the employer is required to give to every employee within 30 days of their termination, voluntary or involuntary. It's more than a prominent posting.

It doesn't sound as if the employer in this case is has done this; however, as I said, if this happened two weeks ago he is still within the legal time frame to do so.

I'm not arguing that the poster's employer did anything illegal; nor am I saying that she is entitled to any compensation for the two weeks in question.

O

Olena

:cool: Thank you. Now I understand my situation better. I still have a question though. Can my employer terminate me (or my position) on retro-active basis?
The whole issue is he told me first don't come to work temporarily just for two weeks and only after this time he told me I am terminated.

Beth3

Can my employer terminate me (or my position) on retro-active basis? Yes. Your employer could have used the last date you actually worked or the date the decision was made to term you - it's up to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">