• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Investors won't pay my salary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nicy3

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I recently started a business with a partner in another state. In our contract, he agreed to pay my health insurance, cell phone, and to continue my current salary. I sent him a W2 from the previous year to verify my annual salary. I have yet to be paid on time, and at each pay check, I have to call and literally beg for the money owed me. The investor, rather than pay me the $632.85 weekly salary I am owed pays me $600.00 per week, and only when he feels like it. Right now he is two weeks behind in pay, and has said he will not pay me any more money. I have upheld my end of the contract. My job was to solicit new business, which I have done by visiting builders, real estate agents, and homeowners.

The investors' job was to use my photographs and notes taken from home inspections to produce estimates for me. I've been in two homes, sent pictures and notes to the investors, and have never received estimates from them---basically I go into these homes, snap a bunch of photographs, and never call the homeowners again. I look like I'm casing these houses to rob them later or something because the investors won't do their job.

I also have three builders who will work with us, but I've already burned a bridge with one (one of the homes I visited was for their client). Another builder has strict insurance requirements, but would provide steady, long-term work. The investors will not purchase the insurance policy unless the builder guarantees us work. I cannot even get the promised equipment or employees to perform the work; how can I ask a Fortune 500 company for a guarantee?

The investors won't pay me for the work I've done. I'm completely broke. I do have the computer and printer purchased for company use. Am I allowed to keep these things as collateral until I receive funds due? My investors have also shown an inclination for writing checks for pay, then stopping payment on them so that they don't clear.

Our contract clearly states my compensation. The investors have violated this. What are my options? I have no money for an attorney (due to lack of pay, my bank account is now in the negative).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">